Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2019/03/25 09:25:33 UTC

[DRAFT] April Incubator Report ...

Hi all,

It’s reporting time again … so I whipped up a new report.

Please feel free to comment on it.

Chris

--------------------

PLC4X

PLC4X is a set of libraries for communicating with industrial programmable

logic controllers (PLCs) using a variety of protocols but with a shared API.

PLC4X has been incubating since 2017-12-18.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

1.  Building the community: Even if we have managed to attract a diverse

community, it can always be some more people.

  2.

  3.

aware of?

  Not at the moment.

  Previously added PPMC/Committers have setup and the onboarding process

  has been pretty successful. One new name has showed up on the list

  demonstrating willingness to help with the website and documentation.

  Now in total 3 people have demonstrated the ability to perform releases.

  We are currently tying up some loose ends and preparing everything to

  start the graduation vote in the next few weeks. All of this has been

  consuming quite some time.

  Christofer is working hard on implementing a first POC for a tooling to

  generate drivers from DFDL and SCXML specifications, which will greatly

  simplify driver implementation as well as make it possible to generate

  drivers for multiple target languages, such as C++.

  We have had a meetup in Nürtingen on 15th of February which a great part

  of the active PPMC and committers attended. Beyond that on 21th of February

  Christofer had a talk on PLC4X at EURegJug in Aachen, on 8th of March in

  Solingen.

  Numbers:

  - Releases:

    - 0.3.0 RC2: 05.02.2019 (RM: Julian Feinauer)

    - 0.3.1 RC1: 13.03.2019 (RM: Julian Feinauer, but Tim Mitsch actually did it)

  - Mailing-list Subscriptions: 43 (up by 1)

  - Twitter followers: 130 (up by 16)

  - GitHub stars: 52 (up by 10)

  No new POCs have been performed this period however another company has

  shifted to using PLC4X as main integration platform in their analytics

  software. Also a consortium of 3 companies and the ISW from Stuttgart

  University received a positive response to a project proposal that was

  supported for the funding program "KMU Innovativ" at BMBF German ministry

  of education and research. PLC4X will play an important role in the project

  for communication with industrial controllers and will be integrated by the

  industrial partner pragmatic minds GmbH which is represented in the (P)PMC

  by Julian Feinauer.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup

  [ ] Working towards first release

  [ ] Community building

  [X] Nearing graduation

  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2019-03-13 0.3.1 RC1

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2019-02-04 Tim Mitsch (PPMC and committer)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling

through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues

that need to be addressed.

  They have been very helpful. Especially regarding questions about

  graduating, Justin has been particularly helpful in pointing out

  some missing things.

Re: [DRAFT] April Incubator Report ...

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Thanks!

Am 31.03.19, 18:57 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

    And done ...

    I re-arranged some blocks as I didn’t have the "how did the project mature" ... question ... and updated the Twitter follower count.
    Other than that, it's like I posted with an empty "pre-graduation-task" list.

    Chris

    Am 31.03.19, 18:39 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

        Hi Stefan,

        I agree ... I'll just leave the list empty ...

        Will submit the report in the next few minutes.

        Chris

            On 2019-03-25, Christofer Dutz wrote:

            > Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

            > 1.  Building the community: Even if we have managed to attract a diverse
            >    community, it can always be some more people.

            This is a task that is never "done", at least not as long as the project
            itself is not "done". So I'm not sure it belongs to the list of issues
            to address before graduation. To me it looks as if the community was
            already big enough for this step.

            Stefan

Re: [DRAFT] April Incubator Report ...

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Well as far as I understood the question:
"Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating"
It doesn't mean that we will stop focusing on growing the community, just that there's nothing big preventing us from becoming a TLP.
Growing the community will be one of our primary goals for the next few years ;-)

But that's just my point of view.

Chris

Am 26.03.19, 08:08 schrieb "Julian Feinauer" <j....@pragmaticminds.de>:

    Hi Chris,

    I think the report ist good.
    The only position where I'm unsure is the formulation "Building the community: Even if we have managed to attract a diverse community, it can always be some more people.".
    This formulation is a bit "weak" from my perspective, as we currently (from my perspective) are really a bit low on contributors.

    Julian

    Am 25.03.19, 10:34 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

[...]

        Date of last release: