Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> on 2007/12/12 22:20:39 UTC

"Virus found in this message", probe?

Anyone seen these? text/plain and HTML parts, seem to have same content,
saying there's a virus, please delete, and some gibberish. I'm guessing
it's some kind of probe.

Re: "Virus found in this message", probe?

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
Joseph Brennan wrote:

> The control node turned off the switch at 05:00 EST.  They were still
> rolling in during the 04:00 hour but the last one was at 04:54.  The
> customer's paid time on the botnet may have ended.

So far, we saw the last one at 2028UTC 14Dec.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Re: "Virus found in this message", probe?

Posted by Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu>.

The control node turned off the switch at 05:00 EST.  They were still
rolling in during the 04:00 hour but the last one was at 04:54.  The
customer's paid time on the botnet may have ended.

Joseph Brennan
Lead Email Systems Engineer

Re: "Virus found in this message", probe?

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> --On Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:20 PM -0800 Kenneth Porter
> <sh...@sewingwitch.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone seen these? text/plain and HTML parts, seem to have same content,
>> saying there's a virus, please delete, and some gibberish. I'm guessing
>> it's some kind of probe.
>

> Started today (based on reports to us)
>
> Varying senders.  Comes from a botnet.  Varying Subject but always one
> lower-case word or wordlike string (ogbomosho).  Subject does repeat
> in different messages, but looks like too many to bother matching.
>
> Note the misspelling in the string:
> /Virus found in this message, please delete it without futher reading/

> between the <a ...> and </a> tags.  How can this ever be clicked on?
>
> The URL has a dot in the path.  We have a local rule watching for
> this.  Example (this is a dead link at this time):
>
> Joseph Brennan
> Lead Email Systems Engineer
> Columbia University Information Technology

I wonder if that is in fact a broken spam warning message of some sort.
I've been getting things for weeks with one nonsense "word" for a subject,
but they have all been plain-text fake watch spams.

            Loren

Re: "Virus found in this message", probe?

Posted by Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu>.

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.
Kenneth Porter wrote:
> Anyone seen these? text/plain and HTML parts, seem to have same
> content, saying there's a virus, please delete, and some gibberish.
> I'm guessing it's some kind of probe.
There was a web address hidden by a malformed CSS tag.