Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Jaime Solano <jd...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/03 17:06:53 UTC

Defining new function outside Phoenix jar

Hi guys,
In the "How to add your own built-in function to Phoenix" blog post it is
mentioned that there's room for improvement so that the function can be
defined outside Phoenix jar, avoiding this way modifying the source code.
Can you mention a few ideas of How can this be accomplished? (defining a
function without touching Phoenix source code)
Thanks,
-Jaime

Re: Defining new function outside Phoenix jar

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
There's a JIRA for supporting user defined functions with a few
comments here: PHOENIX-538

There's also a middle ground that's possible that wouldn't be full
blown UDFs, but would allow you to define new built-in functions in
your own jar which would need to be available on the client and server
side. You'd need to modify/generalize the way we register and lookup
built-in functions through the ExpressionType enum, but other than
that, it'd probably be pretty straightforward.

Thanks,
James