Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christoph Schönfeld <cs...@sylphen.com> on 2005/11/10 09:33:52 UTC

[M2] How to control Java source file encoding used by javac

Hi,

for Maven 1 there was a property to set, maven.compile.encoding.
How is that set in Maven 2.0?

I tried mvn -Dmaven.compile.encoding=UTF-8 compile, but the build still
fails at a file containing UTF-8 characters.

Thanks in advance,
Christoph

Re: [M2] How to control Java source file encoding used by javac

Posted by Christoph Schönfeld <cs...@sylphen.com>.
I figured this out myself. Here is the setting I use in the topmost
pom.xml of my project.

  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <configuration>
          <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

However, I have one question: Is there any other/better way to do it?

Using mvn projecthelp:effective-pom, I found out that the setting
automatically applies to child modules which is very nice. This seems to
be the case even when Maven is called in a directory of such a child
module, as long as it is correctly linked via <parent>. I assume this
stuff happens when Maven says "Scanning for projects...", someone on
this list called it "global source tree", IIRC.

To improve understanding of how Maven works, I suggest this fact be
mentioned in the multi-project guideline.

Christoph