Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Dipan Shah <di...@hotmail.com> on 2019/02/28 10:08:16 UTC

MV's stuck in build state

Hello All,

I have a few MV's that are stuck in build state because of a bad schema design and thus getting a lot of messages like this "Mutation xxx is too large for maximum size of 16.000MiB".

[cid:cde7867a-aa71-4046-97f8-7a16b1a4f3c9]

I have dropped those MV's and I can no longer see their schema in the keyspace. But they are visible under "system.views_build_in_progress" and "nodetool viewbuildstatus".

I have tried "nodetool stop VIEW_BUILD" as suggested here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40553499/stop-cassandra-materialized-view-build and have also reboot a few nodes in the cluster. This has also not helped.

Is there anything else that can be done over here?
[https://cdn.sstatic.net/Sites/stackoverflow/img/apple-touch-icon@2.png?v=73d79a89bded]<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40553499/stop-cassandra-materialized-view-build>

Stop Cassandra Materialized View Build - Stack Overflow<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40553499/stop-cassandra-materialized-view-build>
Its not documented, but nodetool stop actually takes any compaction type, not just the ones listed (which the view build is one of). So you can simply: nodetool stop VIEW_BUILD Or you can hit JMX directly with the org.apache.cassandra.db:type=CompactionManager mbean's stopCompaction operation.. All thats really gonna do is set a flag for the view builder to stop on its next loop.
stackoverflow.com

Thanks,

Dipan Shah

RE: MV's stuck in build state

Posted by Kenneth Brotman <ke...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Dipan,

What is the state of the dev and production clusters now?

How big is the production cluster?

How many nodes on each cluster spin out of control?

On the production cluster, the data is 67 MB, you'd have use a value at
least twice that size as the commitlog_segment_size.  Of course you don't
want to leave it really high if you do change it.

On the dev cluster the data is 18 MB, you used a value way over twice size
when you bumped the commitlog_sement_size to 128 MB, but in doing so you are
wasting a lot of memory capacity of course, but you say it didn't fix the
problem on that cluster, so. is the message you are getting reflecting this
change by showing <y> to be 128 MB now or is it still a different value?

Is there another problem too perhaps you were running low on capacity on the
node?  Could low capacity be a problem on either cluster?

Posted by Dipan Shah <di...@hotmail.com>.
Hello Kenneth,

On your production cluster, when you were first getting the “Mutation of <x> bytes …” message, what was the value of x and y?

How about when you got the message on the Dev Cluster, what was the value of x and y in that message?

On the Dev cluster, did you try going into JMX and directly hitting the org.apache.cassandra.db:type=CompactionManager mbean's stopCompaction operation?

Did you try following the advice in the referenced DataStax article called Mutation of <x> bytes is too large for the maximum size of <y><https://support.datastax.com/hc/en-us/articles/207267063-Mutation-of-x-bytes-is-too-large-for-the-maxiumum-size-of-y-> as suggested in the stackoverflow.com post you cited?

RE: MV's stuck in build state

Re: MV's stuck in build state

RE: MV's stuck in build state

Re: MV's stuck in build state