Posted to dev@milagro.apache.org by Brian Spector <br...@apache.org> on 2019/08/27 08:56:11 UTC

[VOTE] Accept D-TA software client donation

Hi All,

A few days ago we received a code donation from Howard [1] that falls under his ICLA and the CCLA from Qredo.
This donation contains the 'in development' alpha version of the new Decentralized Trust Authority software client which we would like to release broadly in a series of staged releases until a final GA version in Q4. We would like to get the alpha release out asap, followed by a beta, then an RC1 and finally a GA version.

The vision is that the D-TA will be the server process that functions as the master key generation server for a) issuing Type-3 pairing/identity based secrets for M-Pin clients and servers (the original D-TA version) and b) safeguard shares of secrets like Bitcoin private keys.

The problem with the initial version of the M-Pin client/server code into Milagro was that there was no standardized REST API method to issue identity based secrets for M-Pin clients and servers, and the Trust Authority was conflated with the authentication server. This new donation fixes that design limitation and enables a broader set of functional use cases to be addressed, particular for protecting cryptocurrency private keys.

Because this D-TA is developed outside of the ASF version control and mailing list, this donation will need to be formally accepted and follow the IP clearance procedure [2].

I would like to start a formal vote on accepting this code. If the vote is successful I will start with the IP clearance.

Please vote:

[ ] +1 Accept this donation.
[ ] 0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Don't accept this donation (please motivate your vote).

Greetings,
Brian

[1]: https://github.com/apache/incubator-milagro-dta/commit/e1067aef61dc0b2a523348dc9b71eb578983c9ee
[2]: http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/

Re: [VOTE] Accept D-TA software client donation

Posted by Kealan McCusker <ke...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

Posted by Brian Spector <br...@qredo.com>.
Every vote counts!

On 27/08/2019, 12:44, "Howard Kitto" <ho...@qredo.com> wrote:

    I guess I’m too late but it gets +1 from me

    Howard Kitto

    Qredo
    Chief Technology Officer
    howard@qredo.com

Posted by Howard Kitto <ho...@qredo.com>.

Posted by Brian Spector <br...@qredo.com>.
I vote +1.

Posted by Stanislav Mihaylov <sm...@gmail.com>.
I vote +1

Posted by John McCane-Whitney <jo...@qredo.com>.
+ 1 from me.  Looking forward to having this component to extend the
capabilities of the project even further.