Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Qbyte Consulting <qb...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/19 15:13:24 UTC

some old criticisms of T5

https://friendlybit.com/html/tapestry-5-and-how-not-to-treat-html/

I'm wondering how users would respond to the above. I haven't found these
issues a big problem myself, but some of these behaviours are problematic,
for example someone mentioned the white-space issue recently.

John

Re: some old criticisms of T5

Posted by Cezary Biernacki <ce...@gmail.com>.
In my experience Tapestry generates better HTML than many (most?) of other
frameworks. Lets take for example the whitespace issue. In most cases
whitespace in templates are artefacts of indentation used to improve
readability of templates during development. As the result when blindly
preserved, whitespace in generated HTML is just ton of unnecessary garbage.
E.g. it is not uncommon to see several empty lines at the start of
generated HTML from JSP-powered frameworks. Tapestry approach is much more
efficient.

Regarding, using a complain about problems with using Tapestry-generated
page as responses to AJAX calls, I believe that Tapestry offers better
solution with custom document builder dedicated for AJAX and returning a
custom structure. While just returning HTML snippets  for AJAX can work for
simple applications, it becomes maintainability nightmare for more complex
once: how to ensure that necessary CSS-es, JavaScripts are included but not
duplicated (and when pages are generated from multiple reusable components
that do not know about each other), how to insert the response into
multiple parts of the page, how to avoid DOM id conflicts, how to handle
errors in a friendly way. All of this is provided by Tapestry from the
start.

Another complain was problems with XHTML, thankfully it almost died.

Best regards,
Cezary

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Qbyte Consulting <qbyteconsulting@gmail.com

Re: some old criticisms of T5