Posted to announce@apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2012/05/05 19:32:19 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpCore 4.2 GA Released

The Apache HttpComponents project is pleased to announce the first
stable (GA) release of HttpComponents HttpCore 4.2. The most notable
features included in this release are connection pool components for
blocking and non-blocking HTTP connections and new asynchronous client
and server side protocol handlers.

New protocol handling API used in conjunction with connection pooling
components is expected to make development of asynchronous HTTP client
agents and HTTP proxies easier and less error prone.

Connection pool components are based on mature code migrated from
HttpClient and HttpAsyncClient modules but have a slightly different API
that makes a better use of Java standard concurrent primitives.

Sample application shipped with the release include an example of an
HTTP file server capable of direct channel (zero copy) data transfer and
an example of a non-blocking, fully streaming reverse proxy.

Download -
<http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi>
Release notes -
<http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpcore/RELEASE_NOTES.txt>
HttpComponents site -
<http://hc.apache.org/>

About HttpComponents Core - HttpCore is a set of low level HTTP
transport components that can be used to build custom client and server
side HTTP services with a minimal footprint. HttpCore supports two I/O
models: a blocking I/O model based on the classic Java I/O and a
non-blocking, event driven I/O model based on Java NIO. The blocking I/O
model may be more appropriate for data intensive, low latency scenarios,
whereas the non-blocking model may be more appropriate for high latency
scenarios where raw data throughput is less important than the ability
to handle thousands of simultaneous HTTP connections in a resource
efficient manner.