Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/09 03:28:29 UTC

Valid version of the PDF specification?

Team,

Which version [1] of the PDF spec does FOP follow?
Can HEAD use the most recent, version 1.5 from August
2003?

Thanks,
Glen

[1] http://partners.adobe.com/asn/tech/pdf/specifications.jsp

Re: Valid version of the PDF specification?

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Glen Mazza wrote:

> OK -- PDF 1.4 it is.  I agree with supporting Acrobat
> V5.  However, I don't see backwards compatibility
> concerns as much of an issue here, given the Acrobat
> Reader is free and pretty easy to download.

Glen,

you are right that AR is free and easily available. However, large
organisations have a tendency to lock down users PC's to prevent downloading
for security reasons and object to rolling out new versions of software to
10000 PC's for obvious reasons.

Chris

Re: Valid version of the PDF specification?

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Oct 11, 2004, at 9:58 AM, Glen Mazza wrote:
> Clay,
>
> It's not just the *quantity* of consumers, it is also
> their level of happiness, as well as our ability to
> recruit developers willing to do the coding.  (Absent
> committers willing to spend the time on the code, *no*
> version of PDF will get supported.)  Per your
> suggestion, though, if we were to drop the FOP's PDF
> specification-level to pre-2000 versions, these
> problems occur:
>
> 1.) The 98% that would have no problem with the 2001 spec will note
> that our product doesn't render as well
> as the commercial products do.  Features they would want to implement
> aren't possible.  So the benefit of
> making the 2% AR4.0 user base happy comes at a price of making unhappy
> the other 98%, and due the ratios
> involved, overall satisfaction with the FOP product would fall through
> the floor.

As I mentioned, Glen, my purpose in questioning the move to PDF 1.4 as
a base (if it is a move?) is to indicate we should only make such
changes if there is a distinct need for it. I don't know how many users
there are out there, and certainly I have no intention to make 98% of
our users unhappy. If that were the case (and I'm not convinced that is
the case) then I would be holding the "Let's move to PDF 1.4" flag.

> 2.) It is next to impossible to recruit people to study the PDF
> specification inside and out in order to implement a PDF
> renderer--there are no shortage of other much-more-in-use skills that
> take far less time to learn.  That problem is compounded when you as
> them (1) to not only study the PDF spec, but a commercially obsolete
> 6-year old version of it, and (2) to spend their time doing so with
> the full knowledge of when they're finished, everyone is going to be
> panning their work (see #1 above).  Few developers can afford to do
> what you are proposing.
>
> 3.) Generally speaking, virtually no one is stuck at AR4.0, and those
> who are aren't writing FO documents.  You may make that calculation
> that it is acceptable for 500,000 users to have a substandard product
> just so the feelings of 10 AR4.0 users don't get hurt, but I don't
> think you'll get much support for that on the team.

Folks stuck at AR 4.0 (or less!) may not be writing FO documents, but
they may be required to view FOP PDF output.

> 4.) By having a substandard PDF renderer, you lose more V5/V6 people
> than you gain of V4 people, so overall application usage drops rather
> than increases.  Without exception the V5/V6 people are the ones you
> would want to please anyway--they're the ones writing the reviews,
> they're the ones more likely to be using it for production
> applications.  (Someone from IBM or Sun isn't going to write a review
> of "Using FOP with AR4.0"; instead they will write about "FOP with
> AR6.0", and in particular how poorly it performs and how out-of-date
> it is.)

I'm not talking about requiring all FOP output be 'stuck' at PDF 1.3.
I'm just saying that if we can output to PDF 1.3, great! If we add
something that requires PDF 1.4, or PDF 1.5 that's great too!

> Glen (Who thinks AR V4 will work with the 1.4 spec anyway ;)

That may be the case (That'd be great!), and would mean our output is
available to those folks who can't install Adobe/Reader 5.x or 6.x or
+...

My desire is simply for the reasoning and discussion for any
significant change (minimum output: PDF 1.3 vs. 1.4, minimum FOP
requirements: JDK 1.3 vs. 1.4 vs. 1.5, etc.) to be available in the
archives. If there's a good reason for it, by all means, make the
change!

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: Valid version of the PDF specification?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Clay,

[...]

to learn.  That problem is compounded when you ask

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Oct 11, 2004, at 7:06 AM, Glen Mazza wrote:
> 1.4 (Copyright 2001) is fine for us.

That's OK by me, as long as that is the consensus and not the opinion
of one of our esteemed committers. I was hoping for a little discussion
about why PDF 1.3 is not even an option? There is some discussion of
this topic in the archives[1] & [2] and also in the FOPProjectTasks
wiki[3]. I acknowledge certain items require PDF 1.4 (transparency,
encryption, and others[4]). But like Jeremias said in this thread[2]:

> > > 1.3 or 1.4?
> >
> > 1.4
> > because we have transparency
>
> If that's the only reason, I'd like to have this configurable. I'd
> regret losing 1.3 compatibility.

My preference is still to 'shoot' for PDF 1.3 for all output which
doesn't require PDF 1.4+ features. If one of those features is applied,
then the format should change.

Then again, judging by my output, fop-0.20.5 appears to generate PDF
1.3 files (unless Encryption is enabled). Please correct me if I'm
wrong. Requiring anyone who needs PDF 1.3 output would be perfectly
acceptable to me, although for this and other reasons (bug fixes, added
support for Barcode4J[5], & other PATCHes) I'd like to see a 0.20.6
release off of the maintenance branch (which could occur after our
FOP-1.0 release).

[1]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=104246257322783&w=2
[2]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=102861860310316&w=2#1
[3]
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?FOPProjectTasks
[4]
http://partners.adobe.com/asn/acrobat/docs/File_Format_Specifications/
PDF14Deltas.pdf
[5]
http://barcode4j.sourceforge.net/fop-
ext.html#The+special+FOP+extension+%28for+experienced+developers+only%29

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: Valid version of the PDF specification?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
1.4 (Copyright 2001) is fine for us.

--- Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com> wrote:

> My preference is similar to Jeremias' preference. I
> prefer we move to a
> higher requirement(s) when there are clear and
> expressed needs for such
> moves. In fact, I would prefer we support 1.3 by
> default, and only
> require 1.4 or 1.5 for those items and features
> which require it. I
> admit, my knowledge of the spec is incomplete at
> best, but I'd like to
> see FOP work toward greater inclusion, moving toward
> wider support
> rather than narrowing our list of prospective
> consumers.
>
> On a similar note, I think changes to FOP minimum
> requirements for
> output (and minimum requirements for running FOP)
> should be the result
> of an established need.
>
> On Oct 9, 2004, at 5:46 AM, Glen Mazza wrote:
> > OK -- PDF 1.4 it is.  I agree with supporting
> Acrobat
> > V5.  However, I don't see backwards compatibility
> > concerns as much of an issue here, given the
> Acrobat
> > Reader is free and pretty easy to download.
>
> It is free and easy to download, but the issue of
> system requirements
> [2] come into play, especially with regard to Adobe
> Reader 6.0.1 (see
> [2] for more on 6.x requirements). Since PDF 1.4
> probably requires
> Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.x. I thought I'd post its
> requirements here:
>
> Acrobat Reader 5.0 system requirements
> (in addition to 24MB-60MB of Hard Disk)
> ================================
>   Windows
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666;
name=blkbullet.gif
> Microsoft Windows 95 OSR 2.0 or better
>

> ATTACHMENT part 4 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666;
name=blkbullet.gif
> 64MB of RAM
>
>   Macintosh
>

> ATTACHMENT part 6 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666;
name=blkbullet.gif
> Mac OS 8.6*, 9.0.4, 9.1, or Mac OS X*
>

> ATTACHMENT part 8 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666;
name=blkbullet.gif
> 64MB of RAM
>

> ATTACHMENT part 10 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666;
name=blkbullet.gif
> * Some features may not be available.
>
>   IBM AIX
>

> ATTACHMENT part 12 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666;
name=blkbullet.gif
> IBM AIX 4.3.3, 5.1
>

> ATTACHMENT part 14 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666;
name=blkbullet.gif
> 64MB of available RAM (128MB recommended)
>
>   HP-UX
>

> ATTACHMENT part 16 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666;
name=blkbullet.gif
> HP-UX 10.2, 11.0
>

> ATTACHMENT part 18 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666;
name=blkbullet.gif
> 64MB of available RAM (128MB recommended)
>
>   Linux
>

> ATTACHMENT part 20 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666;
name=blkbullet.gif
> Linux 2.2 kernel on X86 computer
>

> ATTACHMENT part 22 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666;
name=blkbullet.gif
> 64MB of available RAM
>
>   Sun Solaris - SPARC�
>

> ATTACHMENT part 24 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666;
name=blkbullet.gif
> Sun Solaris 2.6, 7, and 8 supported on SPARC and
> UltraSPARC� computers
>

> ATTACHMENT part 26 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666;
name=blkbullet.gif

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrsystemreqs.html

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.