Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Richard Clarke <ri...@likewhoa.com> on 2002/12/07 20:58:40 UTC

0x444ba45b in prof_mark () from /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i686-linux/auto/Devel/DProf/DProf.so

List,
    I seem to have hit a slight stumbling block in my mod_perl development.
Without wanting to write a whole essay on the exact combination of events
that causes this segv to happen I'll just say for now that it happens after
my custom Template::Provider returns a status indicating a template could
not be found. My apache error log indicates that the segv happens
immediately after my contenthandler returns SERVER_ERROR.
As you can see from the topic, the segv happens in the DProf library. I have
listed the gdb output at the end of my email.
My question is simply, is this a mod_perl problem, a template toolkit
problem or a problem somewhere in the dprof library?.
If I really need to use Apache::DProf then I'll just avoid requesting
templates that don't exist. I'm still curious however, as to whether there
is a more sinister problem waiting to cause my problems in the future.
Any advice? Has anyone else ever experienced a code path which causes a
similar segv in dprof?

Richard.

(gdb) c
Continuing.

0x4477145b in prof_mark () from
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i686-linux/auto/Devel/DProf/DProf.so
(gdb) bt
#0  0x4477145b in prof_mark () from
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i686-linux/auto/Devel/DProf/DProf.so
#1  0x44771b5d in XS_DB_sub () from
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i686-linux/auto/Devel/DProf/DProf.so
#2  0x444e2732 in Perl_pp_entersub () from /usr/lib/libperl.so
#3  0x444dc7e0 in Perl_runops_standard () from /usr/lib/libperl.so
#4  0x444900cc in S_call_body () from /usr/lib/libperl.so
#5  0x4448c28e in perl_call_sv () from /usr/lib/libperl.so
#6  0x4448fcbe in perl_call_method () from /usr/lib/libperl.so
#7  0x0806fbe1 in perl_call_handler ()
#8  0x0806f472 in perl_run_stacked_handlers ()
#9  0x0806dfc4 in perl_handler ()
#10 0x0808e1b9 in ap_invoke_handler ()
#11 0x080a3f7f in ap_some_auth_required ()
#12 0x080a3fea in ap_process_request ()
#13 0x0809a876 in ap_child_terminate ()
#14 0x0809aa35 in ap_child_terminate ()
#15 0x0809abb6 in ap_child_terminate ()
#16 0x0809b24d in ap_child_terminate ()
#17 0x0809babc in main ()
#18 0x445743bd in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb)

Re: 0x444ba45b in prof_mark () from /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i686-linux/auto/Devel/DProf/DProf.so

Posted by Ilya Martynov <il...@martynov.org>.

RC> List,
RC>     I seem to have hit a slight stumbling block in my mod_perl development.
RC> Without wanting to write a whole essay on the exact combination of events
RC> that causes this segv to happen I'll just say for now that it happens after
RC> my custom Template::Provider returns a status indicating a template could
RC> not be found. My apache error log indicates that the segv happens
RC> immediately after my contenthandler returns SERVER_ERROR.
RC> As you can see from the topic, the segv happens in the DProf library. I have
RC> listed the gdb output at the end of my email.
RC> My question is simply, is this a mod_perl problem, a template toolkit
RC> problem or a problem somewhere in the dprof library?.

Likely it is Dprof's problem.

RC> If I really need to use Apache::DProf then I'll just avoid requesting
RC> templates that don't exist. I'm still curious however, as to whether there
RC> is a more sinister problem waiting to cause my problems in the future.
RC> Any advice? Has anyone else ever experienced a code path which causes a
RC> similar segv in dprof?

Many times. Apache::DProf happily segfaults on any non-trivial
program.

--
Ilya Martynov,  ilya@iponweb.net
CTO IPonWEB (UK) Ltd

Re: 0x444ba45b in prof_mark () from /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i686-linux/auto/Devel/DProf/DProf.so

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi Stas,

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> I see no reason why we should mislead readers, saying do not upgrade to
> 5.8.0, but to 5.7.2 instead.

I'm sorry if I misled anyone.  I thought it was clear that my own
personal recommendation was "at least 5.7.2" and that there are those
who would recommend 5.8.0 but I'm not one of them.  That's because I
have no personal experience of that release.

Anyway, if they've read all this I think they have the idea now... :)

73,
Ged.

Re: 0x444ba45b in prof_mark () from /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i686-linux/auto/Devel/DProf/DProf.so

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Ged Haywood wrote:
> Hi Stas,
>
> On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>Ged Haywood wrote:
>>[...]
>>
>>>Try upgrading to Perl 5.7.2 at least.  It worked for me.
>>>
>>>There are those who would recommend 5.8.0 minimum, but I'm not one.
>>>(Yet:).
>>
>>Eh? 5.8.0 is almost the same as 5.7.2, with mucho bugs fixed. I don't
>>understand why do you suggest to install an unstable developers version,
>>when there is a stable and better version out there.
>

> Simply that I've never upgraded to 5.8.0 myself and I've seen a few
> people with some troubles when they did.  I've had no trouble at all
> with 5.7.2.

If there are any troubles, they should be reported to p5p. Personally I
didn't have any. Mandrake 8.0 uses 5.8.0 for its all tools and it works,
so does the new RH.

> You may remember I had segfault problems with dprof and 5.7.1 which
> went away when I upgraded to 5.7.2 (it was you who suggested it:).

At that time there was no 5.8.0 available.

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi Stas,

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Ged Haywood wrote:
[...]
> Try upgrading to Perl 5.7.2 at least.  It worked for me.
>
> There are those who would recommend 5.8.0 minimum, but I'm not one.
> (Yet:).

Eh? 5.8.0 is almost the same as 5.7.2, with mucho bugs fixed. I don't
understand why do you suggest to install an unstable developers version,
when there is a stable and better version out there.

Whether you are running 5.7.2 or 5.8.0, do not compile with ithreads
support, unless you need it, as it makes the interpreter slower.

Re: 0x444ba45b in prof_mark () from /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i686-linux/auto/Devel/DProf/DProf.so

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Richard Clarke wrote:

>     I seem to have hit a slight stumbling block in my mod_perl development.
[snip]
> As you can see from the topic, the segv happens in the DProf library.

Yup, that'll do it.