Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Imran Rashid <im...@wolfram.com> on 2000/07/26 20:32:56 UTC

catalog of public DTD's

on xml-dev, there was recently a discussion of cataloging public id's of DTD
in a parser.
(thread starting w/
http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200007/msg00226.html)

the idea is, if 99% of the time, I'm using my parser to parse something from
the same DTD, I don't want to have fetch it from the URI every time.

on xml-dev, the suggetion was to use public identifiers in the document type
declaration for your document.  Then in your parser, you add some type of
catalog for your favorite DTD's.  If the public id matched w/ one of your
cataloged DTD's, than you would use your local copy.  If you didn't
recognize the public id, then the parser uses the system id instead.

is this feasible w/ Xerces now??
if so, can someone give me some pointers on how?

thanks,
Imran Rashid

Re: catalog of public DTD's

Posted by Dean Roddey <dr...@charmedquark.com>.
It works now. Look at the Redirect sample program. You must be able to
recognize a DTD as a DTD, which is not always so easy.

Dean Roddey
The CIDLib C++ Frameworks
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
http://www.charmedquark.com

"You young, and you gotcha health. Whatchoo wanna job fer?"