Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk> on 2001/02/08 18:42:33 UTC

[C2] Unit testing.

Guys,

Having spent all day upto my arm pits in bits of cocoon, xerces and
xalan, I've come to the conclusion that tracking down bugs in bits of
cocoon can be nearly impossible at the moment. How would you guys feel
about us starting to use JUnit to run unit tests over cocoon? That way
we can be a lot more confident that we didn't just break something when
we make a change? The tests can range from checking that a matcher
matches, to checking that a classloader class loads, to checking that
the output of a particular pipeline is as expected. I'm very happy to
help in this respect, and I have minions (eh, boss?) that will put some
work into developing tests, too. How do you guys feel about this?

Does anyone know whether the IBM Public Licence is APL compatible, or
would we have to keep JUnit out of the repository?

P.

Re: [C2] Unit testing.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com>.
Paul Russell wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Having spent all day upto my arm pits in bits of cocoon, xerces and
> xalan, I've come to the conclusion that tracking down bugs in bits of
> cocoon can be nearly impossible at the moment. How would you guys feel
> about us starting to use JUnit to run unit tests over cocoon? That way
> we can be a lot more confident that we didn't just break something when
> we make a change? The tests can range from checking that a matcher
> matches, to checking that a classloader class loads, to checking that
> the output of a particular pipeline is as expected. I'm very happy to
> help in this respect, and I have minions (eh, boss?) that will put some
> work into developing tests, too. How do you guys feel about this?
>
> Does anyone know whether the IBM Public Licence is APL compatible, or
> would we have to keep JUnit out of the repository?

I would say go for it!

Re: [C2] Unit testing.

Posted by Ross Burton <ro...@mail.com>.
Paul Russell wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Having spent all day upto my arm pits in bits of cocoon, xerces and
> xalan, I've come to the conclusion that tracking down bugs in bits of
> cocoon can be nearly impossible at the moment. How would you guys feel
> about us starting to use JUnit to run unit tests over cocoon? That way
> we can be a lot more confident that we didn't just break something when
> we make a change? The tests can range from checking that a matcher
> matches, to checking that a classloader class loads, to checking that
> the output of a particular pipeline is as expected. I'm very happy to
> help in this respect, and I have minions (eh, boss?) that will put some
> work into developing tests, too. How do you guys feel about this?
>
> Does anyone know whether the IBM Public Licence is APL compatible, or
> would we have to keep JUnit out of the repository?

A small note - didn't the Avalon list seperate their testing code from
the core and put it on Sourceforge?  arrowhead.sourceforge.net IIRC.

Ah - just went there.  Yes, that is the site of the code (Kevin Burton
is the developer) but there is no downloads, no web page, no nothing.
Anyone know what happened?  Did it get dropped?

Apart from that, +1 for the tests.

Ross Burton

Re: [C2] Unit testing.

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
* Paul Russell (paul@luminas.co.uk) wrote :
> PS - my mails seem to be being very heavily delayed at the moment, any
> ideas why?

Ahem. Or not. Maybe daedalus was just a bit busy last night...

P.

Re: [C2] Unit testing.

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Paul Russell wrote:

> * Giacomo Pati (giacomo@apache.org) wrote :
> > Sounds like a plan. Go for it :)
>
> Funky. Will do. Expect stuff to start appearing sometime this afternoon.
>
> > > Does anyone know whether the IBM Public Licence is APL compatible, or
> > > would we have to keep JUnit out of the repository?
> > AFAIR IPL is compatible to the APL.
>
> Right, I'll assume that's the case for the time being then. If anyone
> knows otherwise, tell me now! Is there an authorative source for this
> kind of thing?

the xml-apache pmc, or failing that, the apache members list.

> PS - my mails seem to be being very heavily delayed at the moment, any
> ideas why?

daedalus had some enormous load on it yesterday. dunno if it's still a
problem or not.

- donald

Re: [C2] Unit testing.

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
* Giacomo Pati (giacomo@apache.org) wrote :
> Sounds like a plan. Go for it :)

Funky. Will do. Expect stuff to start appearing sometime this afternoon.

> > Does anyone know whether the IBM Public Licence is APL compatible, or
> > would we have to keep JUnit out of the repository?
> AFAIR IPL is compatible to the APL.

Right, I'll assume that's the case for the time being then. If anyone
knows otherwise, tell me now! Is there an authorative source for this
kind of thing?

Paul.

Re: [C2] Unit testing.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Paul Russell wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Having spent all day upto my arm pits in bits of cocoon, xerces and
> xalan, I've come to the conclusion that tracking down bugs in bits of
> cocoon can be nearly impossible at the moment. How would you guys feel
> about us starting to use JUnit to run unit tests over cocoon? That way
> we can be a lot more confident that we didn't just break something when
> we make a change? The tests can range from checking that a matcher
> matches, to checking that a classloader class loads, to checking that
> the output of a particular pipeline is as expected. I'm very happy to
> help in this respect, and I have minions (eh, boss?) that will put some
> work into developing tests, too. How do you guys feel about this?

Sounds like a plan. Go for it :)

> Does anyone know whether the IBM Public Licence is APL compatible, or
> would we have to keep JUnit out of the repository?

AFAIR IPL is compatible to the APL.

Giacomo