Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Amit Shinde <am...@amicontech.com> on 2006/09/14 08:27:46 UTC

Object De-Duplication

Hello,
	We need to create parties and on the creation process we need to first take
certain fields, and search the database to make sure the contact or company
doesn't already exist. The user should be presented with the list of
potential matches, which can then be selected or the user can continue with
new input.

	This automated search capability will be integrated into the creation
process of various objects to avoid data duplication.

	For "Person" we need to check:
		SOUNDEX(First Name), SOUNDEX(Last Name), EXACT(Telecom Number),
EXACT(Email)

	For "Company" we need to check:
		SOUNDEX(Company Name), EXACT(ZIP), EXACT(PHONE)

	Has anyone worked on anything similar to this? Any directions would be
appreciated.

	Thanks in advance.

Amit Shinde

Re: Object De-Duplication

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
There is some similar stuff in the catalog manager for creating a
product in a category (if I remember right) that searches for
existing products based on certain information. There isn't anything
special about this type of functionality so I don't think you'll find
any secrets or re-usable code there... this sort of thing is just a
couple of screens for user interaction and some queries to aid in
that interaction...

-David