Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Roberta Marton <ro...@esgyn.com> on 2016/06/07 22:31:06 UTC

[DISCUSS] Tradofion TLP (top level project) status

We entered Apache Incubation May  24, 2015 so we have been incubating for
about a year.

We have completed 2 major releases and there is a patch release in progress.

Once the patch release completes,  we support:

-          Source tar files

-          Binary tar files

-          Distribution support for vanilla Apache, Hortonworks, and
Cloudera

-          Apache web site and wiki

-          Up to date documentation

With the patch release, we believe all licensing issues have been addressed.

So the next decision is whether we should apply for top level project
status.

The Trafodion PMC discussed this topic and the impression is that Trafodion
is doing well in many aspects - it has a large community, gets a lot of
contributions (code, documentation, testing, etc.) and has a vibrant
conversation going on in the email lists, particularly on the development
side. The main problem is that still too many folks are working for the
same company, Esgyn. So, in terms of raw numbers we are good, but we might
not be diverse enough as measured by number of independent organizations.

What does everyone in the dev group think?  If we have to increase our
diversity, how can this be done? Given the complexity of Trafodion it is
not easy for a new contributor to become a committer without a lengthy
learning curve.

      Roberta

Re: [DISCUSS] Tradofion TLP (top level project) status

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Finally I have had a moment to gather my thoughts on the subject of (lack
of) diversity and Trafodion project. Forgive me for coming late to this
table.

I am inclined to believe that we, as the Trafodion community, should not
fret to much on having the majority of the priviliged contributors (those
with a mere commit privilege and those in the - intended -  PPMC). That
situation exists today, yes. But I have experienced a welcoming community,
and I feel confident that will not change in a future where more adopters
will contribute back with insights, code improvements and questions. A
future that will bring us the diversity that this project needs and its
community wants.

For sure, the discussion in the general ml of the incubator will be more on
the subject of diversity than about the skills to do releases. Regarding
the releases this community has shown that not just one has done or could
do it.

But regarding the subject of diversity we must stay true to the ASF
principles and communicate so. Not only now as a podling during our
incubation phase, but also after our graduation. Not only we need to
communicate this to potential adopters and contributors, but also to those
who have binding votes in the incubator.

I have seen podlings graduate to become a TLP within the ASF, with the
majority of privileged contributors being affiliated with one company.
While not desirable, we can take heart from that while staying the course
of bringing more diversity in to our contributor base and at the same time
requesting a vote on our graduation.

Just my 2 cents.

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by "Jin, Jian (Seth)" <Ji...@esgyn.cn>.
We have delivered 2 major releases, this is significant progress for Trafodion, I would like to have +1.

Br,

Seth

Posted by "Yang, Yang (Felix)" <ya...@esgyn.cn>.
+1

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Roberta Marton <ro...@esgyn.com>.
Thanks for all your replies.
The basic feeling I see is:
"Trafodion is actively working on getting new non Esgyn committers but to
get people's interest and get them to follow with contributions is tough."

But this doesn't indicate whether we should or should not try for TLP.
Let's make it more simple:

+1 = discussion over - go for TLP at this time
  0 = not sure, discuss some more
-1 = wait until we get more non Esgyn committers or at least until we get
more contributors that have the potential to be committers.

Something to keep in mind, even if we decide to go for TLP, we might get
turned down by the IPMC.
To get a feel for IPMC's thoughts,  our mentor Stack sent out a message to
the general incubator list with the following request

"We'd like to solicit feedback on whether the Trafodiion project is ready to

Posted by Carol Pearson <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Regarding getting more contributors:
>
> Seems like there are two issues. One is overcoming the learning curve of
> contributing, as you mentioned; the other is finding people who would be
> motivated to contribute to this particular project.
>
> I think we can address the first with more tutorials on our web site and/or
> wiki. Already there is an excellent tutorial on UDFs. Contributing in the
> engine is a more complicated endeavor, but perhaps with appropriate
> internal
> documentation and descriptions of debugging tools we can lower the bar.
>
> The second issue is more difficult. There are many ways to contribute, of
> course. UDFs has been mentioned in the past. Perhaps we can cultivate a
> culture of users contributing some of their more interesting UDFs.
>
> Dave

Gunnar

RE: [DISCUSS] Tradofion TLP (top level project) status