Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/01 21:47:51 UTC

Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

I have some old ( not very old - each of 4GB RAM with a decent processor
etc., and working fine till now ) Dell Windows XP machines and want to
convert them to a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for a Hadoop cluster for
my experimental purposes.

Can you give me some suggestions on how to proceed on this plan? My initial
plan is to target 4 to 5 machines.

Does the hardware on which Windows XP machine is based supports RHEL?

Are there any other drivers or software should we install before installing
RHEL on this machines?

How easy/difficult is this, if some one like a Linux Systems Administrator
is involved in this?

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.
I have the same advice from Niels for your, Rody.
Use CentOS 6.3 x86_64 for your Hadoop cluster. You will be able to use the
high performance kernel included in this version and the great performance
of Java 1.6 on 64 bits systems.

You can use some of these guides for that:
http://hadoopstuff.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/hadoop-installation-on-rhel6centos6/

http://dak1n1.com/blog/9-hadoop-el6-install

http://jenming.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/running-hadoop-on-centos-6-multi-node-cluster/

Best wishes

--
Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda
Product Manager at PDVSA

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Posted by Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the quick reply and advise. I work for a corporate and Red Hat
Linux licenses is not an issue for us now. So we can plan it for 4 to 5
machines. So keeping that in mind - what would you recommend?

Alternatively, as per your suggestion, how easy is Cent OS installation?
Where can i get the software? Can I install CentOS directly on the old
machines or is it like a Virtual machine on Windows. Let me know please.

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda
Product Manager at PDVSA

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Posted by Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda
Product Manager at PDVSA

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Posted by Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmaseda <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda
Product Manager at PDVSA

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Posted by Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
My first suggestion is to go for CentOS as it is free and almost the same
as RHEL.
Also having a 64 bit OS lets you use a bit more of the installed memory

Then if you can simply install CentOS on these machines and have the
network running you should be fine.

I have been running experiments on something identical to what you are
describing here.

Niels Basjes

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some old ( not very old - each of 4GB RAM with a decent processor
> etc., and working fine till now ) Dell Windows XP machines and want to
> convert them to a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for a Hadoop cluster for
> my experimental purposes.
>
> Can you give me some suggestions on how to proceed on this plan? My
> initial plan is to target 4 to 5 machines.
>
> Does the hardware on which Windows XP machine is based supports RHEL?
>
> Are there any other drivers or software should we install before
> installing RHEL on this machines?
>
> How easy/difficult is this, if some one like a Linux Systems Administrator
> is involved in this?

Niels Basjes

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
My first suggestion is to go for CentOS as it is free and almost the same
as RHEL.
Also having a 64 bit OS lets you use a bit more of the installed memory

Then if you can simply install CentOS on these machines and have the
network running you should be fine.

I have been running experiments on something identical to what you are
describing here.

Niels Basjes

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some old ( not very old - each of 4GB RAM with a decent processor
> etc., and working fine till now ) Dell Windows XP machines and want to
> convert them to a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for a Hadoop cluster for
> my experimental purposes.
>
> Can you give me some suggestions on how to proceed on this plan? My
> initial plan is to target 4 to 5 machines.
>
> Does the hardware on which Windows XP machine is based supports RHEL?
>
> Are there any other drivers or software should we install before
> installing RHEL on this machines?
>
> How easy/difficult is this, if some one like a Linux Systems Administrator
> is involved in this?

Niels Basjes

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.
You should go look at a CentOS list for help...  It's really simple.

Try it first, then ask questions, if required.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

If you can't install 64-bit, simply install 32-bit.  Basically, it means
you have access to a smaller amount of RAM, even if you're using a computer
with.

For example
http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.ca/2010/08/32-bit-vs-64-bit-linux-which-to-choose.html

Honestly, getting Linux on your computers is going to be the easy part...

Marco

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Posted by Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Niels,

Thanks for the reply and explanation. When the CPU doesn't support 64 bit ,
does CentOS fail ? Is there any work around or it is a show stopper?

Thanks,
Rody

Posted by Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Niels,

Posted by Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Niels,

Posted by Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Niels,

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.

Posted by Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
My first suggestion is to go for CentOS as it is free and almost the same
as RHEL.
Also having a 64 bit OS lets you use a bit more of the installed memory

Then if you can simply install CentOS on these machines and have the
network running you should be fine.

I have been running experiments on something identical to what you are
describing here.

Niels Basjes

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some old ( not very old - each of 4GB RAM with a decent processor
> etc., and working fine till now ) Dell Windows XP machines and want to
> convert them to a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for a Hadoop cluster for
> my experimental purposes.
>
> Can you give me some suggestions on how to proceed on this plan? My
> initial plan is to target 4 to 5 machines.
>
> Does the hardware on which Windows XP machine is based supports RHEL?
>
> Are there any other drivers or software should we install before
> installing RHEL on this machines?
>
> How easy/difficult is this, if some one like a Linux Systems Administrator
> is involved in this?

Niels Basjes

Re: Experimental Hadoop Cluster - Linux Windows machines

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
My first suggestion is to go for CentOS as it is free and almost the same
as RHEL.
Also having a 64 bit OS lets you use a bit more of the installed memory

Then if you can simply install CentOS on these machines and have the
network running you should be fine.

I have been running experiments on something identical to what you are
describing here.

Niels Basjes

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Rody BigData <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some old ( not very old - each of 4GB RAM with a decent processor
> etc., and working fine till now ) Dell Windows XP machines and want to
> convert them to a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for a Hadoop cluster for
> my experimental purposes.
>
> Can you give me some suggestions on how to proceed on this plan? My
> initial plan is to target 4 to 5 machines.
>
> Does the hardware on which Windows XP machine is based supports RHEL?
>
> Are there any other drivers or software should we install before
> installing RHEL on this machines?
>
> How easy/difficult is this, if some one like a Linux Systems Administrator
> is involved in this?

Niels Basjes