Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro> on 2010/03/26 18:09:45 UTC

good, not evil and HBase package for Debian

Dear Mr. Crockford,

I'm working on a Debian package for HBase, the Database also used by Yahoo.
One dependency of hbase is agile-json[1], apparently based on your org.json
library. It also contains the phrase: "The Software shall be used for Good,
not Evil."

I've youfully watched your Videos on Javascript and advocated your style of
javascript in my company, to make the internet a better place. I'm working
voluntarily since 19 years in social and educational projects.

Please realise, that you're doing evil with your license: You're wasting my
time. I need to look around, whether this license can be accepted by Debian,
write this email to you and maybe alltogether give up on the Debian package if
it shouldn't be accepted by Debian.

Instead of wasting this time, I could do good things instead. Helping in our
brasil school project, where children from poor farmers learns to read, write
and defend their legal rights.

Please be so kind to remove the phrase from your code. Those who're realy evil
will ignore it anyhow, and those, who have a sense of responsability, like me,
are harmed by it.

[1] http://github.com/gottesmm/agile-json-2.0

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Re: good, not evil and HBase package for Debian

Posted by Bradford Stephens <br...@gmail.com>.
I have got to start paying more attention to this list again :)

--
http://www.drawntoscalehq.com --  The intuitive, cloud-scale data
solution. Process, store, query, search, and serve all your data.

http://www.roadtofailure.com -- The Fringes of Scalability, Social
Media, and Computer Science

Re: good, not evil and HBase package for Debian

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro>.
Andrew Purtell:
> Hey Thomas,
>
> On Apache's legal-discuss@ list it was resolved some time ago that the
>  "Good, Not Evil" phrase in the JSON license does not preclude inclusion of
>  it with ASF 2.0 licensed works.
>
> ASF 2.0 licensed works are already in Debian main.
>
> I think this is a non issue but you can easily ask debian-legal@ if you
>  have a lingering concern. Please see http://www.debian.org/legal/licenses/
>
>   - Andy

Hi Andy,

I got an answer from Debian-Legal a moment ago. It says, that Debian can't
accept this license as free software. There is still non-free, where org.json
could go and then HBase would go into section contrib which is for free
software that depends on non-free software.

Posted by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro>.
Mr. Crockford,

I'm not a native english speaker, but your short answer sounds rather rude to
me. It's a pity, that you couldn't explain me, why you consider my argument
silly.
What do you suggest me to do now?

- Don't package hbase for Debian?
- Try to convince the Debian people to accept your license?
- Patch hbase to use another json library?
- Continue to argue with you about the license?

I'd like to do good and package HBase for Debian instead of going the easy
route and just use it inhouse without packaging it.
But your license it makeing it terribly difficult for me to do something good.
To use my free time to package HBase.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch

Douglas Crockford: