Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Qingshan Xie <xi...@yahoo.com> on 2004/01/09 21:42:10 UTC

[users@httpd] unclear the definition of "MaxClients" in "worker.c" MPM

Hi,
   In Apache-2.x "worker" MPM, what type of number of
"MaxClients" should be setup? the number of the
threads or the number of processes?  I am confused by
different definitions from diff. sites.  Please
someones give me an accurate explanation.

Many Thanks!
Q.Xie

Re: [users@httpd] unclear the definition of "MaxClients" in "worker.c" MPM

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Qingshan Xie wrote:
>    In Apache-2.x "worker" MPM, what type of number of
> "MaxClients" should be setup? the number of the
> threads or the number of processes?  I am confused by
> different definitions from diff. sites.  Please
> someones give me an accurate explanation.

This is explained here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/worker.html
and
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#maxclients

In summary, MaxClients is ThreadsPerChild*(Maximum number of child
processes), or, in other words, the total number of clients that can be
served simultaneously.

Joshua.