Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org> on 2020/02/10 15:00:36 UTC

Moving MINA site from SVN to Git

Hello MINA developers,

I noticed MINA is still serving its site from SVN with help of the Apache
CMS.
At the Apache Celix project we decided to move away from the CMS and move
towards git for serving our website [1]. The master branch contains the
actual
website sources whereas the generated website is served from the asf-site
branch.
Hugo is being used as static website generator. Content is written in
Markdown.

I experimented a bit with MINA its site and have something working with Hugo
as well now. An example of its output is (for demo purposes only) available
on [2]

Moving to git can enlarge the visibility of how projects are functioning.
Next
to that, new contributors can just create a pull request against the website
repository if they find anything they want to improve. And a 'Edit on
GitHub'
button can be added as well to the site, e.g. an example of a page on the
Celix website [3]

If the community is interested in this move what I propose:
- Someone from the PMC to request a new git repository for the website via
[4] called e.g. mina-site
- Me creating the pull request from the repository I am temporarily using
for the website contents [5] to the official mina-site repository
- In the meantime discuss with INFRA about the best way to host the
gen-docs (it could be part of the repo in the /static/ folder, however if
there
is a better way it is best to discuss this upfront).
- Create a Jenkins job to automatically build the site after changes happen
on the master branch.
- When the pull request is reviewed and merged ask INFRA to move over
from the current svnpubsub to the gitpubsub approach and remove MINA
from the Apache CMS.

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this :)

Best regards,
Roy

[1] https://github.com/apache/celix-site
[2] http://mina.roylenferink.nl/
[3] http://celix.apache.org/contributing/releasing.html
[4] https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/newrepo.html
[5] https://github.com/rlenferink/mina-site

Re: Moving MINA site from SVN to Git

Posted by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Any further thoughts on this? Otherwise I'll start a (lazy) vote for moving over.

Roy

Posted by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>.
Hi folks,

Posted by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>.