Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by paul <od...@rogers.com> on 2003/01/04 05:40:14 UTC

[users@httpd] "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost" error message

Hi All,

I really am at a loss about how to solve my problem. I am completely new
to the Linux world. I just instatlled Red Hat Version 8.0. I am trying
to get apache up and running, but when I try to go to http://localhost I
get the following error message,

"The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost"

I've been searching all over the Internet for answers to this question.
I found plenty of posts to various forms about this error message, but
no solutions, at least not any solutions that I understand. First I
accepted the default settings for the apache http server, got that
message, and started to muck around with it for a few hours, only to
keep getting the same error message over and over again. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated. I really don't know what I am doing. I was
able to install and play around the the Windows Personal Web Server to
allow me to experiment with Active Server Pages a couple years ago
without any trouble at all. Maybe I got lucky then.

Thanks,

Paul O'Donnell

Re: [users@httpd] "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost" error message

Posted by Renato Salles <ma...@brturbo.com>.
Read carefully the httpd.conf file, and things will become more clear to
you.
(/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf)

This file is divided in 3/4 main areas, Global, Main, and so on, where
you can inspect what the problem can be.
In the directive "Listen", "BindAddress", and many more.
Take a look at the docs, anyway. You'll probably "suspect" where your
problem can or can't be.
Come back to the list later, 'cause there is so much to learn: We'll be
here waiting...At the meantime, i will try to improve my English.

RSalles

Posted by paul <od...@rogers.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.
paul,

Posted by Terra Novum <in...@terranovum.com>.
RH8, but what about the return from "service httpd start"?

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
J. Greenlees wrote:

>Gary Turner wrote:
>> Paul O'Donnell wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>>I am running RH version 8.0. I did a custom install and I installed
>>>everything.
>>
>> Generally, better to install the bare minimum and then add the apps you
>> actually want/need.  Much safer.  You might neglect a security patch on
>> a running but unused and forgotten service.  Or, you may not have done
>> needed hardening of configs.  Or, ....
>
>RH8.0 (Psyche) has the tools to update ( or at least make known which
>updates are security fixes) and mandrake, you mean debian doesn't have
>this basic option? ;)

Actually, Debian has very good security notification and patch
procedures.  For all practical purposes, security updates/grades are
transparent.  What I referenced are SOP security measures.  It is poor
practice to have running services that are unneeded.  Any opening to the
outside is a potential breach in security.

<snip>

>> Buy or read online "Linux Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition", AKA
>> Rute.  This book should be required reading for anyone new (or not) to
>> Gnu/Linux.  Mr. Sheer covers Red Hat type distros and Debian.  He does
>> acknowledge the clear superiority of Debian (obviously a smart man :))
>
>how can it be superior? 15 minutes to download the boot image for the
>floppy...23 hours to download and install the os over the network. [
>those were the times my broad band cable isp gave me when I went to look
>at debian two months ago )

Hmm.  Last week I created a new root/boot (Tom's RootBoot) floppy off
the net in about a minute or so (DSL).  This includes enough networking
utilities to get online and bring down whatever else I want.  If you
haven't used Debian's dpkg/Apt, you wouldn't believe how simple and
quick an online install/upgrade is.

My original install was Potato off CDs.  Last November I did a
distribution upgrade to Woody (testing) over the net.  Total download
time was about 45 minutes.  (No, I didn't download all ten thousand
packages.  "Apt-get dist-upgrade" only downloaded my installed subset,
and then only if needed.)  At no time was the system down.  As I recall
I killed time answering email and surfing.  When Woody was made stable,
I forked to Sarge by changing a few lines in /etc/apt/sources.list.

I've only had to install once in spite of two major upgrades.  (kiss my
bupkas MS ;))  The only reason to shutdown is for kernel or hardware
changes.

<snip>

>(though getting the three iso's for RH8.0 wasn't any faster than the
>debian install, I couldn't afford for my system to NOT have an os for 23
>hours, I could download an iso and still have system available for other
>tasks.)

I have no idea why you would have been down for more than tens of
minutes.  Even less or no downtime with planning.
--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---

Re: [users@httpd] "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost" error message

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Paul O'Donnell wrote:

<snip>

>I am running RH version 8.0. I did a custom install and I installed
>everything.

Generally, better to install the bare minimum and then add the apps you
actually want/need.  Much safer.  You might neglect a security patch on
a running but unused and forgotten service.  Or, you may not have done
needed hardening of configs.  Or, ....

> First of all I don't know what Xterm is, but I tried the
>command in the shell after using su to make myself root.

Xterm is simply a terminal emulator that runs in X Window.  Essentially,
it is the same as a virtual terminal at F1-F6.

>Here is the output I get from typing "service httpd start"
>
>[root@localhost /]# pwd
>/
>[root@localhost /]# service httpd start
>bash: service: command not found
>[root@localhost /]#

I run Debian, myself, so some apps are differently named.  I think the
command you likely want is "apachectl start" or maybe "httpd start".
You can do "which <command>" (from root on system commands, or see "man
sudo") to find out if the command exists and where it lives.  If it
exists, do "man <command>" which brings up the manual page for the
command. eg.;

koko:/home/gt# which apachectl
/usr/sbin/apachectl
koko:/home/gt# exit
gt@koko:~$ man apachectl
(blah blah blah)

>I am spending the entire weekend teaching myself more about the shell so
>maybe I will know what things like the service command and Xterm are by
>the time the weekend is over. :)

Unlike that popular legacy OS, Gnu/Linux requires the single user to
actually have a clue about what's under the hood.  You will need to do a
*lot* of reading ;)

Buy or read online "Linux Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition", AKA
Rute.  This book should be required reading for anyone new (or not) to
Gnu/Linux.  Mr. Sheer covers Red Hat type distros and Debian.  He does
acknowledge the clear superiority of Debian (obviously a smart man :))
See:

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz (Chapter 36 for Apache
stuff--I think this also available at Border's Books and online at
Sourceforge--google is your friend)

Other useful books/docs:

http://en.tldp.org/LDP/lame/LAME/linux-admin-made-easy/  (tends to be
Red Hat centric)

http://www.dsl.org/cookbook/  (may already be on your machine in the doc
section--it is included in the Debian docs package)

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html

For many more helpful docs, goto http://en.tldp.org/LDP, the Linux
Documentation Project.

Have a ball.

--
gt           kk5st@sbcglobal.net
The advice is free, and worth every cent.

Re: [users@httpd] "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost" error message

Posted by Paul O'Donnell <od...@rogers.com>.
Hi All,

I want to thank everyone who helped with my problem. I really didn't
think I would get it solved today and I would not have had it not been
for everyones help. And thanks Tom.

Paul

Posted by Terra Novum <in...@terranovum.com>.

Posted by Aaron Sturm <aa...@hotmail.com>.
I got to the page.

-Aaron

Posted by Paul O'Donnell <od...@rogers.com>.
Here is my output

Posted by Terra Novum <in...@terranovum.com>.

Posted by Renato Salles <ma...@brturbo.com>.
Some basics of the command "su":

If you type: su + enter
You'll inherit the PATH the previous user had. But, if you type:
su - (su + "-")
You'll get the same PATH the superuser (root) has.
This is why some commands are found and others are not in the situations
described above. The command "service" seems to exist to some users like
root (where is it? in /sbin) and /sbin is not in the PATH of ordinary
users.
BTW, this is off-topic.

RSalles

Posted by Paul O'Donnell <od...@rogers.com>.
Hi Tom,

Posted by Paul O'Donnell <od...@rogers.com>.

Posted by Terra Novum <in...@terranovum.com>.

Posted by Paul O'Donnell <od...@rogers.com>.
Thanks Tom,

Posted by Terra Novum <in...@terranovum.com>.

Posted by Renato Salles <ma...@brturbo.com>.
Log messages are here:
/var/log/httpd/access_log,
/var/log/httpd/error_log
Of course, it depends on your configuration (i mean at httpd.conf)

RSalles

Posted by paul <od...@rogers.com>.
Hi and thanks for your time,

Posted by Renato Salles <ma...@brturbo.com>.

Posted by Webmaster/Info <in...@terranovum.com>.
Or on redhat a good command to know is "service httpd start" where the
httpd can be substituted with the name of any service in /etc/rc.d and
start can be substituted with start|stop|restart|status. Note that newer
linux distributions tend to come with nothing turned on by default,
simply for security reasons. See redhat's getting started guide for much
more if you are just starting out on Linux. It will make your time go
much smoother.
Tom

Posted by Webmaster/Info <in...@terranovum.com>.
See my last post about using service in RH. It will do most things you
will need it to for now and you will not have to worry about things like
the errant dash you were told to put in. (ie it is supposed to be
"apachectl start" or "apachectl -k start").
Tom

Posted by Renato Salles <ma...@brturbo.com>.
The command is:
/usr/bin/apachectl start
(If /usr/bin/is not in your PATH)
If it is - probably is -
apachectl start (not a "-" before the command "start")
OK?
RSalles

Posted by paul <od...@rogers.com>.

Posted by Jeff Cohen <ap...@gej-it.com>.