Posted to dev@horn.apache.org by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org> on 2015/10/12 12:13:29 UTC

Adding Introduction of Apache Horn project on commit101.org

Hi forks,

At my company, we plan to introduce our project on
http://commit101.org (OSS at Samsung). The draft made by me and
Shubham Mehta. Please review and feel free to feedback.

I'm CC'ing ASF trademarks@. If there's any problem Pls let us know.

Thanks!

--
== Apache Horn ==

The Apache Horn is an Apache Incubating project, allowing you to do
Downpour SGD based large-scale deep learning, using the heterogeneous
resources on existing Hadoop and Hama clusters. It is originally
inspired by Google's DistBelief (Jeff Dean et al, 2012). Its
architecture is designed with an intuitive programming model based on
the neuron-centric abstraction.

== Why Apache Horn? ==

Deep learning and unsupervised feature learning have shown great
promise in many practical applications. State-of-the-art performance
has been reported in several domains, ranging from speech recognition
visual object recognition, to text processing.

It has been observed that increasing the scale of Deep Learning model,
in terms of model parameters in proportion to training examples, can
drastically improve ultimate classification accuracy. There has been
lot of research regarding making the architecture and optimization
algorithm feasible to handle large models having billions of
parameters. One such way is to increase parallelism by allowing model
as well as data parallelism.

Horn’s architecture takes into account the requirement for model
parallelism and follows the recently introduced approach of
distributed Parameter server. For data parallelism, it makes use of
Hama’s master-groom framework.

With more involved Distributed optimization and inference, we plan to
achieves Sate-of-the-art performance on training of large-scale Deep
learning algorithms.

== Goals ==

As a Distributed framework, we first plan to reduce total training
time to achieve certain accuracy with more computing resources using
Downpour SGD training method for feed forward models including
Convolutional Neural Network (CNN), Auto encoder.

In Apache Horn, we are planning to support various Distributed
training frameworks like Sandblaster, AllReduce, and Distributed
Hogwild and acceleration.

In the end we would like to extend it to make it usable with other
Deep Learning models like restricted Boltzmann machine (RBM), and
recurrent neural networks (RNN)

== Principles ==

We want to provide general architecture to exploit the scalability of
various training methods. Synchronous methods increase efficiency and
ensure consistency while asynchronous methods increase the convergence
rate. We plan to introduce a hybrid approach which has best of both
the worlds.

We plan to use BSP computing framework as the base of our computation.
BSP framework for parallel computation makes logic and implementation
much cleaner, one the biggest challenge of implementing distributed
algorithms.

Further, programming model is based on the neuron centric abstraction,
which is intuitive for deep learning models.

== Getting Involved ==

HORN is an open source volunteer project under the Apache Software Foundation.

Currently, a number of researchers and developers from various
organizations, such as Microsoft, Samsung Electronics, Seoul National
University, Technical University of Munich, KAIST, LINE plus, and Cldi
Inc., are involved in the Horn project.

We encourage you to learn about the project and contribute your expertise.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon

Re: Adding Introduction of Apache Horn project on commit101.org

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
It's now available at http://commit101.org/projects/apachehorn

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.