Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> on 2008/08/10 15:27:54 UTC

fsfs-reshard.py not ready for prime time?

In http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/server-side/fsfs-reshard.py,
this block appears at the end:

   if __name__ == '__main__':
     raise Exception, \
       """This script is unfinished and not ready to be used on live data.
       Trust us."""
     main()

The exception-raise was added in r24552 by Malcolm:

   * tools/server-side/fsfs-reshard.py
     Prevent use, for now, and add a license block.

   Suggested by: cmpilato

Since then there have been a few commits to fsfs-reshard.py, but the
exception is still in place.  Do we know exactly what it is that is
making fsfs-reshard.py be not ready for production use?  The reason I
ask is that people are starting to write their own reshard scripts (see
the mail below from users@)...

-Karl

Re: fsfs-reshard.py not ready for prime time?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"David Glasser" <gl...@davidglasser.net> writes:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> wrote:
>>> In http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/server-side/fsfs-reshard.py,
>>> this block appears at the end:
>>>
>>>   if __name__ == '__main__':
>>>     raise Exception, \
>>>       """This script is unfinished and not ready to be used on live data.
>>>       Trust us."""
>>>     main()
>>>
>>> The exception-raise was added in r24552 by Malcolm:
>>>
>>>   * tools/server-side/fsfs-reshard.py
>>>     Prevent use, for now, and add a license block.
>>>
>>>   Suggested by: cmpilato
>>>
>>> Since then there have been a few commits to fsfs-reshard.py, but the
>>> exception is still in place.  Do we know exactly what it is that is
>>> making fsfs-reshard.py be not ready for production use?  The reason I
>>> ask is that people are starting to write their own reshard scripts (see
>>> the mail below from users@)...
>>
>> From what I remember, I thought the only issue was that when you
>> wanted to use the script to go back to the 1.4 format it took a really
>> long time.
>
> ISTR it was just never particularly tested or reviewed by more than
> one or two people.

Hrm.  The warning message is a lot stronger than that.  Should we change
it to

  "This script is not widely tested.  Please make a backup of your
   repository before running it.  Run with '--really' to avoid this
   warning and make the script actually run."

Or something like that?

-Karl

Re: fsfs-reshard.py not ready for prime time?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.
On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> wrote:
>> In http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/server-side/fsfs-reshard.py,
>> this block appears at the end:
>>
>>   if __name__ == '__main__':
>>     raise Exception, \
>>       """This script is unfinished and not ready to be used on live data.
>>       Trust us."""
>>     main()
>>
>> The exception-raise was added in r24552 by Malcolm:
>>
>>   * tools/server-side/fsfs-reshard.py
>>     Prevent use, for now, and add a license block.
>>
>>   Suggested by: cmpilato
>>
>> Since then there have been a few commits to fsfs-reshard.py, but the
>> exception is still in place.  Do we know exactly what it is that is
>> making fsfs-reshard.py be not ready for production use?  The reason I
>> ask is that people are starting to write their own reshard scripts (see
>> the mail below from users@)...
>
> From what I remember, I thought the only issue was that when you
> wanted to use the script to go back to the 1.4 format it took a really
> long time.

ISTR it was just never particularly tested or reviewed by more than
one or two people.

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser@davidglasser.net | http://www.davidglasser.net/

Re: fsfs-reshard.py not ready for prime time?

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.