Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by stlecho <st...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/18 14:30:04 UTC

How to create a maintainable synapse.xml ?

Hi,

In the case where Synapse should support multiple proxies, localEntries,
sequences, ... the synapse.xml file can quickly become difficult to
maintain. Additionally, since all definitions are contained in 1 (big)
synapse.xml file, unwanted dependencies between independent configurations
are created. These dependencies could result in a working service being
blocked by changing synapse.xml after an upgrade.

Ideally it should be possible to group proxies, endpoints, localEntries,
sequences that are somehow related to each other in a specific
"sub-configuration". This allows to incrementally make ESB services
available and in case of a problem, a sub-configuration can be easily
uninstalled. Additional advantage are that several people can work on
configuring their ESB services and that the deployment of new services will
happen in an isolated way.

Does Synapse support this kind of configuration via sub-configurations ?

Regards, Stefan Lecho.

Re: How to create a maintainable synapse.xml ?

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,

For the moment synapse do not support this kind of a sub-configuration
model, but I think these are a set of good improvements that we can do. We
are planing to implement multiple configuration based synapse environment as
part of the SYNAPSE-384 <http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNAPSE-384>,
SYNAPSE-385 <http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNAPSE-385> but even then
the runtime is going to be only one whole configuration.

Thanks,
Ruwan

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 6:00 PM, stlecho <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the case where Synapse should support multiple proxies, localEntries,
> sequences, ... the synapse.xml file can quickly become difficult to
> maintain. Additionally, since all definitions are contained in 1 (big)
> synapse.xml file, unwanted dependencies between independent configurations
> are created. These dependencies could result in a working service being
> blocked by changing synapse.xml after an upgrade.
>
> Ideally it should be possible to group proxies, endpoints, localEntries,
> sequences that are somehow related to each other in a specific
> "sub-configuration". This allows to incrementally make ESB services
> available and in case of a problem, a sub-configuration can be easily
> uninstalled. Additional advantage are that several people can work on
> configuring their ESB services and that the deployment of new services will
> happen in an isolated way.
>
> Does Synapse support this kind of configuration via sub-configurations ?
>
> Regards, Stefan Lecho.

Ruwan Linton
http://wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"
http://ruwansblog.blogspot.com/