Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Asim Alp <de...@educationalnetworks.net> on 2004/02/27 17:25:03 UTC

Tomcat heap vs. java.exe

I have a quick question.  When I run Tomcat 5.0.18, my java.exe starts
with ~65MB.  Then as my websites get hits, java.exe starts increasing.
I run tomcat with the -Xms128m -Xmx256m options.  So the startup heap
size of tomcat is 128MB.  After my first start, I usually have around
80 MB free memory for Tomcat.

My question is, why is the startup java.exe size is smaller than my
total heap size?  Does the size of java.exe grow as the heap starts
being used.  I would expect java.exe to be at least 128 MB (plus the
JVM memory) since that is how much is allocated.

Thanks,

Asim