Posted to user@bookkeeper.apache.org by Yang <te...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/15 09:15:45 UTC

hedwig hubs and bookkeeper?

I'm trying to understand how Hedwig works and its guarantees.

from my understanding of the wiki,
I guess that a hub is composed of all the servers of a bookkeeper
cluster, right?
then the BookKeeperPersistenceManager uses a bookkeeper client to
write to the Ledger, which is replicated using ZAB protocol onto all
the servers in the hub;  and subscribers would call
the persistence manager to read from the ledger ??

Thanks
Yang

Re: hedwig hubs and bookkeeper?

Posted by Matthieu Morel <ma...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Yang,

You may also want to have a look at this presentation by Ben Reed :  http://vimeo.com/13282102

It's a great overview of Hedwig and it could help you understand it better.

Actually, it should probably be referenced from the bookkeeper wiki!

Matthieu

On Sep 15, 2011, at 10:12 AM, Flavio Junqueira wrote:

Hi Yang, Hubs use BookKeeper to persist messages, but they are different components in the system. BookKeeper does not implement Zab, ZooKeeper does. Replication in BookKeeper uses a simple quorum protocol.

-Flavio

On Sep 15, 2011, at 9:15 AM, Yang wrote:

I'm trying to understand how Hedwig works and its guarantees.

from my understanding of the wiki,
I guess that a hub is composed of all the servers of a bookkeeper
cluster, right?
then the BookKeeperPersistenceManager uses a bookkeeper client to
write to the Ledger, which is replicated using ZAB protocol onto all
the servers in the hub;  and subscribers would call
the persistence manager to read from the ledger ??

Thanks
Yang

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

fpj@yahoo-inc.com<ma...@yahoo-inc.com>
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301

Re: hedwig hubs and bookkeeper?

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Yang, Hubs use BookKeeper to persist messages, but they are
different components in the system. BookKeeper does not implement Zab,
ZooKeeper does. Replication in BookKeeper uses a simple quorum protocol.

-Flavio

On Sep 15, 2011, at 9:15 AM, Yang wrote:

> I'm trying to understand how Hedwig works and its guarantees.
>
> from my understanding of the wiki,
> I guess that a hub is composed of all the servers of a bookkeeper
> cluster, right?
> then the BookKeeperPersistenceManager uses a bookkeeper client to
> write to the Ledger, which is replicated using ZAB protocol onto all
> the servers in the hub;  and subscribers would call
> the persistence manager to read from the ledger ??
>

> Thanks
> Yang

flavio
junqueira