Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ralf Siegel <ra...@audiofarm.de> on 2004/10/26 19:12:53 UTC

xlink:href as style for image-elements / CSS 3 namespace definitions

Is it possible to define different image sources in CSS (does Batik support
it)?

Here is an example of what I'm trying accomplish: Instead of writing

<image xlink:href="imageA.png" width="100" height="100" />

for a background image, I would like to write

<image xlink:href="" width="100" height="100" />

and have the image's name externalized in a CSS-file:

image.Background {
         href:"imageA.png"
}

This doesn't work obviously and CSS 3 namespace definitions are not
supported yet, right?

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-namespace/

Any hints?

ralf ...

Re: xlink:href as style for image-elements / CSS 3 namespace definitions

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Ralf Siegel wrote:

>>   No, and it won't be possible (at least for any current SVG
>> implementation) as xlink:href is an XML attribute not a CSS
>> property (the two are handled quite differently).
>
> Too bad, I was hoping that I missed something ;o(
>
> That would be really useful, no?

    I wouldn't consider it so, but I'm not a huge CSS fan. ;)

>> If you are just looking to externalize the image ref you
>> could use the 'use' element:
>
> No, unfortunately that's not sufficient. Maybe I'm faking a
> href-selector using the visibility property, though that could be
> getting quite a mess.

    I would just change it through script.  Good modular
code is no more difficult to maintain than a stylesheet
and, at least in Batik, would be much more efficient.

Re: xlink:href as style for image-elements / CSS 3 namespace definitions

Posted by Ralf Siegel <ra...@audiofarm.de>.
Hi Thomas,

>>Is it possible to define different image sources in CSS (does Batik
>>support it)?
>
>   No, and it won't be possible (at least for any current SVG
>implementation) as xlink:href is an XML attribute not a CSS
>property (the two are handled quite differently).

Too bad, I was hoping that I missed something ;o(

That would be really useful, no?

>If you are just looking to externalize the image ref you
>could use the 'use' element:

No, unfortunately that's not sufficient. Maybe I'm faking a href-selector
using the visibility property, though that could be getting quite a mess.

Thank you.

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Ralf Siegel wrote:

> Is it possible to define different image sources in CSS (does Batik
> support it)?

   No, and it won't be possible (at least for any current SVG
implementation) as xlink:href is an XML attribute not a CSS
property (the two are handled quite differently).

> Here is an example of what I'm trying accomplish: Instead of writing
>
> <image xlink:href="imageA.png" width="100" height="100" />
>
> for a background image, I would like to write
>
> <image xlink:href="" width="100" height="100" />
>
> and have the image's name externalized in a CSS-file:

    If you are just looking to externalize the image ref you
could use the 'use' element:

    <use xlink:href="custom.svg#background"
	width="100%" height="100%"/>

custom.svg:
    <symbol id="background" viewBox="0 0 100 100">
       <image xlink:href="imageA.png" .../>
    </symbol>