Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> on 2005/04/09 21:56:33 UTC

Proposal: Remove svn_test.h from subversion/include/

I think we should remove svn_test.h from subversion/include/.

This is a file containing defines which are used strictly by our own
testsuite.

OK?

Max.

Re: Proposal: Remove svn_test.h from subversion/include/

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> > Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:
> >>
> >> Yes, indeed.  It presumably should go in subversion/tests/ and
> >> probably that directory will need to be mentioned as an extra include
> >> dir in the tests part of the build system.
> >
> > I want it to go away too, but isn't removing a public .h file (even
> > one that we wish no one has been using) against our 1.x compatibility
> > guidelines?  I would think the most we can do is deprecate the stuff
> > inside it.
>
> It's a judgement call, of course, but my opinion is that this file was
> never
> really public, since there is _no way_ anyone could have used this file,
> without digging into files beneath subversion/tests/, which are distinctly
> not public. We _never_ installed any code that used those interfaces.

+1, there's nothing usefull in there.

bye,

Erik.

--
Sparen beginnt mit GMX DSL: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Proposal: Remove svn_test.h from subversion/include/

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Max Bowsher" <ma...@ukf.net> writes:
> It's a judgement call, of course, but my opinion is that this file was
> never really public, since there is _no way_ anyone could have used
> this file, without digging into files beneath subversion/tests/, which
> are distinctly not public. We _never_ installed any code that used
> those interfaces.

In that case, I think we can remove it, and make a special mention in
the release notes.

Re: Proposal: Remove svn_test.h from subversion/include/

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>> Max Bowsher wrote:
>>> I think we should remove svn_test.h from subversion/include/.
>>> This is a file containing defines which are used strictly by our own
>>> testsuite.
>>> OK?
>>
>> Yes, indeed.  It presumably should go in subversion/tests/ and
>> probably that directory will need to be mentioned as an extra include
>> dir in the tests part of the build system.
>
> I want it to go away too, but isn't removing a public .h file (even
> one that we wish no one has been using) against our 1.x compatibility
> guidelines?  I would think the most we can do is deprecate the stuff
> inside it.

It's a judgement call, of course, but my opinion is that this file was never
really public, since there is _no way_ anyone could have used this file,
without digging into files beneath subversion/tests/, which are distinctly
not public. We _never_ installed any code that used those interfaces.

Max.

Re: Proposal: Remove svn_test.h from subversion/include/

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
> > I think we should remove svn_test.h from subversion/include/.
> > This is a file containing defines which are used strictly by our own
> > testsuite.
> > OK?
>
> Yes, indeed.  It presumably should go in subversion/tests/ and
> probably that directory will need to be mentioned as an extra include
> dir in the tests part of the build system.

I want it to go away too, but isn't removing a public .h file (even
one that we wish no one has been using) against our 1.x compatibility
guidelines?  I would think the most we can do is deprecate the stuff
inside it.

-Karl

Re: Proposal: Remove svn_test.h from subversion/include/

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Max Bowsher wrote:
> I think we should remove svn_test.h from subversion/include/.
>
> This is a file containing defines which are used strictly by our own
> testsuite.
>
> OK?

Yes, indeed.  It presumably should go in subversion/tests/ and probably that
directory will need to be mentioned as an extra include dir in the tests part
of the build system.

- Julian