Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> on 2015/04/01 09:11:19 UTC

Spark 2.0: Rearchitecting Spark for Mobile, Local, Social

Hi Spark devs,

I've spent the last few months investigating the feasibility of
re-architecting Spark for mobile platforms, considering the growing
population of Android/iOS users. I'm happy to share with you my findings at

The tl;dr is that we should support running Spark on Android/iOS, and the
best way to do this at the moment is to use Scala.js to compile Spark code
into JavaScript, and then run it in Safari or Chrome (and even node.js
potentially for servers).

If you are on your phones right now and prefer reading a blog post rather
than a PDF file, you can read more about the design doc at
https://databricks.com/blog/2015/04/01/spark-2-rearchitecting-spark-for-mobile.html

This is done in collaboration with TD, Xiangrui, Patrick. Look forward to
your feedback!

Re: Spark 2.0: Rearchitecting Spark for Mobile, Local, Social

Posted by Burak Yavuz <br...@gmail.com>.
This is awesome! I can write the apps for it, to make the Web UI more
functional!

Posted by Tathagata Das <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kushal Datta <ku...@gmail.com>.
Reynold, what's the idea behind using LLVM?

Posted by Akhil Das <ak...@sigmoidanalytics.com>.
Nice try :)