Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Sonam Chauhan <so...@ce.com.au> on 2008/03/13 08:30:34 UTC

Problem with webMethods

Hi - I'm testing an upgrade of our testing engine from JMeter 2.1 to
2.3.1 and hit some problems.

When JMeter 2.3.1 runs a specific testcase against a specific Java
application server (webMethods Integration Server 6.5) it reliably hangs
the server. webMethods goes out of action with Java out of memory error
doing what seem like random things, when running a plain HTTP request
sampler:

For eg:

&lt;StackTrace&gt;java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

            at
com.wm.dd.jdbc.oracle.net8.TTIRXDDataPacket.streamIn(Unknown Source)

JMeter 2.1 has no such problems with the test suite and doesn't hang the
server.

The testcase executes a SOAP/XML-RPC Request sampler (it POSTs an XML
document to webMethods), followed by an HTTP request sampler (again to
webMethods). It hangs while doing the HTTP request. There is one thing
funny with the testcase. Back in the day when the testcase was first
written, there were some problems with the XML RPC sampler. So we used
the HTTP Header Manager to fake Basic authentication and Content-Type
headers

HTTP Header Manager

Authorization  Basic xxxxxx=

Content-Type     text/xml

I saw this in the documentation for the SOAP/XML-RPC sampler...

For versions of JMeter later than 2.2, the sampler no longer uses
chunked encoding by default.
For screen input, it now always uses the size of the data.
File input uses the file length as determined by Java.
On some OSes this may not work for all files, in which case add a child
Header Manager with Content-Length set to the actual length of the file.
Or set Content-Length to -1 to force chunked encoding.

I tried setting content-length to -1 for the SOAP/XML-RPC sampler but it
did not help.

Any clues? Im baffled by this.

Regards,

Sonam Chauhan

--

Corporate Express Australia Ltd.

Phone: +61-2-93350725, Email: sonam.chauhan@ce.com.au

The information contained in this email and any attached files are strictly
private and confidential. This email should be read by the intended addressee
only.  If the recipient of this message is not the intended addressee, please
call Corporate Express Australia Limited on +61 2 9335 0555 or Corporate Express
New Zealand Limited on +64 9 279 2555 and promptly delete this email and any
attachments.  The intended recipient of this email may only use, reproduce,
disclose or distribute the information contained in this email and any attached
files with Corporate Express' permission. If you are not the intended addressee,
you are strictly prohibited from using, reproducing, disclosing or distributing
the information contained in this email and any attached files.  Corporate
Express advises that this email and any attached files should be scanned to
detect viruses. Corporate Express accepts no liability for loss or damage
(whether caused by negligence or not) resulting from the use of any attached
files.

RE: Problem with webMethods

Posted by Sonam Chauhan <so...@ce.com.au>.
Thanks Sebb. Good point, that's what I was thinking too - I'll let the
supplier know.

Regards,
Sonam Chauhan
--
Corporate Express Australia Ltd.
> Hi - I'm testing an upgrade of our testing engine from JMeter 2.1 to
>  2.3.1 and hit some problems.
>

>  When JMeter 2.3.1 runs a specific testcase against a specific Java
>  application server (webMethods Integration Server 6.5) it reliably
hangs
>  the server. webMethods goes out of action with Java out of memory
error
>  doing what seem like random things, when running a plain HTTP request
>  sampler:
>
>  For eg:
>
>  &lt;StackTrace&gt;java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
>
>             at
>  com.wm.dd.jdbc.oracle.net8.TTIRXDDataPacket.streamIn(Unknown Source)

That's clearly a bug in the server, and should be reported to the
supplier.
The cause is presumably unexpected input, but a server should protect
itself against such things. As it stands, the server is vulnerable to
DOS attacks...

>  JMeter 2.1 has no such problems with the test suite and doesn't hang
the
>  server.

There were various changes to JMeter since then which have presumably
changed the way it sends the requests.

>  The testcase executes a SOAP/XML-RPC Request sampler (it POSTs an XML
>  document to webMethods), followed by an HTTP request sampler (again
>  webMethods). It hangs while doing the HTTP request. There is one
thing
>  funny with the testcase. Back in the day when the testcase was first
>  written, there were some problems with the XML RPC sampler. So we
used
>  the HTTP Header Manager to fake Basic authentication and Content-Type
>  headers
>

>  HTTP Header Manager
>
>  Authorization  Basic xxxxxx=
>
>  Content-Type     text/xml
>

>  I saw this in the documentation for the SOAP/XML-RPC sampler...
>

>  For versions of JMeter later than 2.2, the sampler no longer uses
>  chunked encoding by default.
>  For screen input, it now always uses the size of the data.
>  File input uses the file length as determined by Java.
>  On some OSes this may not work for all files, in which case add a
child
>  Header Manager with Content-Length set to the actual length of the
file.
>  Or set Content-Length to -1 to force chunked encoding.
>

>  I tried setting content-length to -1 for the SOAP/XML-RPC sampler but
it
>  did not help.

Did it change the request to chunked encoding?

>  Any clues? Im baffled by this.

If you can create a very short test case, then run it using 2.1 and
2.3.1, and use a packet sniffer to capture the HTTP traffic.
Comparison of the traffic data should show the different requests, and
perhaps point to why the server is OOMing.

If you don't send the HTTP Request in JMeter, does the server still
fail, e.g. if you access it from elsewhere? i.e. is it the combination
of the requests, or does the XML request cause all subsequent requests
to fail?

Re: Problem with webMethods

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.