Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/26 15:56:15 UTC

Ivy 2.0 RC1 planning

Hi,

I've been working on the remaining issues targetted to 2.0-RC1, and only a
few are remaining.

We have:
IVY-835  <ivy:install> ant task downloads wrong jars from maven repositories
IVY-675  Wrong graph of nodes is logged when circular dependency is detected
IVY-349  Endless recursion in Report
  => those are about to be closed as cannot reproduce if no new activity
happens soon

IVY-652  Ivy constructs incorrect URL if artifact path contains spaces
  => This one Maarten you seem to have already made good progress, any
insight on the remaining time?

IVY-387  Absolute and relative path
IVY-232  Incorrect directory path resolve when running from a different
directory
  => These two are rather old, assigned to you Gilles. Any progress on
these? Do you need help?

IVY-872  Improve performance
  => This one is new and assigned to you Gilles. I don't think this should
be a show stopper for 2.0, and can be postponed to 2.0.1 if it takes too
long to implement

So I think we're pretty close to be able to enter in 2.0 release candidates
cycles, to finally get 2.0 out! Do you see any other outstanding issue which
should get in 2.0? Would you agree with a plan trying to get 2.0 RC1 out
before mid september? Then how do you see the release candidates cycles
going on? I'd be in favour of trying to keep the cycles short (sg like every
2 weeks), and if no outstanding bug is reported in a cycle, then we release
2.0 final with the same source code as the last RC. What do you think of
this plan?

Xavier
http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Ivy 2.0 RC1 planning

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org
> [...]

>>> alphabetically.
>>> Currently the OSGi version of the Ivy bundle is 2.0.0.rc1_$TIMESTAMP. So
>>> for
>>> the final version, we will have issues to find a name "upper" than that
>>> one.
>>> I think we should better take 2.0.0.candidate1_$TIMESTAMP (it is still
>>> upper
>>> than "beta") and then for the final : 2.0.0.final_$TIMESTAMP.
>>>

>> Good point. Maybe for the OSGi bundle version we could use cr instead of
>> rc:
>> 2.0.0.cr1_$TIMESTAMP. Some projects use candidate release instead of
>> release
>> candidate, so this is pretty well accepted and understood.
>>

> ok. It is fine for me too.
>

>>> Another point, this one non blocker for the release, but it will be cool
>>> if
>>> you can also release Ivy into the IvyDE update site simultaneously.
>>> Ivy has been re-packaged for the update site with the last release of
>>> IvyDE. It would be cool to have it updated to the update without
>>> involving a
>>> release of IvyDE. So I think that the best way to process is to move the
>>> update site build process from the IvyDE build system to the site build
>>> system. So the process would be:
>>> - build the release of Ivy
>>> - copy the new jar to /svn/ant/ivy/site/ivyde/updatesite/plugins/ (the
>>> entire updatesite will be in svn, jars and .md5)
>>> - update manually the site.xml in site/ivyde/updatesite/ so it references
>>> the new version
>>> - ant generate-ivy-feature optimize-updatesite checksum-updatesite
>>> sign-updatesite
>>> - commit the regenerated stuff
>>> After the release is voted:
>>> - there would be a classic site deployment, as the site include the main
>>> updatesite
>>> - the updatesite mirrors can be updated in updating /www/
>>> www.apache.org/dist/ant/ivyde/updatesite on people.apache.org
>>>
>>> If no one object I will take care of setting up this, put proper detailed
>>> doc about the process in the wiki.
>>> Note that this process is not blocker against an Ivy release, we could
>>> have
>>> some delay between releasing Ivy and having it published into the
>>> updatesite. But I have no doubt that some users will quickly ask to have
>>> it
>>> updated on the Eclipse side :)
>>>

>> That sounds like a good plan, very useful for IvyDE users. About
>> documenting
>> the process, I'd prefer if this could go on the Ivy release documentation
>> page:
>> http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/trunk/dev/makerelease.html
>>

> I forgot about that page.
> So I think I will create a page just next to it, and add a new step that
> points to the new page in makerelease.html, as the update site release
> process should also work when releasing IvyDE.

Fine for me.

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Ivy 2.0 RC1 planning

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
> [...]

>> doc about the process in the wiki.
>> Note that this process is not blocker against an Ivy release, we
>> could have
>> some delay between releasing Ivy and having it published into the
>> updatesite. But I have no doubt that some users will quickly ask to
>> have it
>> updated on the Eclipse side :)
>
> That sounds like a good plan, very useful for IvyDE users. About
> documenting
> the process, I'd prefer if this could go on the Ivy release
> documentation
> page:
> http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/trunk/dev/makerelease.html

I forgot about that page.
So I think I will create a page just next to it, and add a new step
that points to the new page in makerelease.html, as the update site
release process should also work when releasing IvyDE.

AW: Ivy 2.0 RC1 planning

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
> > I have just a little issue that I would like to be
> addressed before the
> > release. It is about the OSGi version number of the rc and
> final version.
> > Version numbers in the OSGi environment needs to be ordered
> alphabetically.
> > Currently the OSGi version of the Ivy bundle is
> 2.0.0.rc1_$TIMESTAMP. So for
> > the final version, we will have issues to find a name
> "upper" than that one.
> > I think we should better take 2.0.0.candidate1_$TIMESTAMP
> (it is still upper
> > than "beta") and then for the final : 2.0.0.final_$TIMESTAMP.
>
> Good point. Maybe for the OSGi bundle version we could use cr
> instead of rc:
> 2.0.0.cr1_$TIMESTAMP. Some projects use candidate release
> instead of release
> candidate, so this is pretty well accepted and understood.

Could that be documented somewhere?
As naming is important for releasing, maybe in the release instructions?

Jan

Re: Ivy 2.0 RC1 planning

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Ivy 2.0 RC1 planning

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Re: Ivy 2.0 RC1 planning

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > IVY-387  Absolute and relative path
> > IVY-232  Incorrect directory path resolve when running from a different
> > directory
> >  => These two are rather old, assigned to you Gilles. Any progress on
> > these? Do you need help?
> >

> Both are actually the same now.  The IVY-387 was an aggregation of
> different absolute and relative path issues.  All have been solved
> except IVY-232 which was a bigger change. [1]
> I think Matt may already has a patch, he just need some help to test.

Great! I can help on this, either to implement or test. I'll post a comment
on the issue to get attention from Matt and see how to procede.

> > IVY-872  Improve performance
> >  => This one is new and assigned to you Gilles. I don't think this should
> > be a show stopper for 2.0, and can be postponed to 2.0.1 if it takes too
> > long to implement
> >

> Correct.  Most performance issues that I have observed are now fixed.
> I just have one pending.  I think that (at least on my benchmark
> project) there is still too much ivy file parsing.  It seems that the
> number of ivy file parsing grows with the size of the repository (or
> with the size of the cache) which I didn't explain yet and is a source
> of poor performances.
> This is the last point that I plan to fix.  After I will stop.  As it
> is not a show stopper this can be postponed to 2.0.1 if it is not done
> for the RC-1. release.

Sounds like a good plan.

> > So I think we're pretty close to be able to enter in 2.0 release
> candidates
> > cycles, to finally get 2.0 out! Do you see any other outstanding issue
> which
> > should get in 2.0? Would you agree with a plan trying to get 2.0 RC1 out
> > before mid september? Then how do you see the release candidates cycles
> > going on? I'd be in favour of trying to keep the cycles short (sg like
> every
> > 2 weeks), and if no outstanding bug is reported in a cycle, then we
> release
> > 2.0 final with the same source code as the last RC. What do you think of
> > this plan?
>
> +1.
>
> I also think that once the RC-1 is released, we should start the 2.0
> branch (or 2.0.0).  Keeping the trunk for changes that will be for
> 2.0.1 (for example possibly the end of my IVY-872), and the branch
> only for 2.0-RC show stoppers.

+1

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Ivy 2.0 RC1 planning

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ivy 2.0 RC1 planning

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

It seems we're getting very close to be able to release 2.0-RC1. The current
issues targeted for 2.0-RC1 consist only of the performance issue that we
agreed to postpone, and an issue on which we wait for some additional input,
if none comes we can resolve it. Therefore current trunk should be very
close to what 2.0-RC1 will be.

So I suggest all Ivy developers and users following the trunk to build from
trunk now, and test this trunk version before we release 2.0-RC1. It's
always quicker to fix things before the release is done.

Then if we agree we could prepare the release for the vote before the end of
the week. I volunteer to be release manager for this version, unless someone
steps up.

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Ivy 2.0 RC1 planning

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then how do you see the release candidates cycles going on? I'd be
> in favour of trying to keep the cycles short (sg like every 2
> weeks), and if no outstanding bug is reported in a cycle, then we
> release 2.0 final with the same source code as the last RC.

+1

Stefan