Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Gary Shea <sh...@gtsdesign.com> on 2005/02/23 20:16:10 UTC

Call for Partners: Embperl multi-threading issues fix

We are all aware of the multi-threading issues with Embperl that make it
impractical for use with Apache2/mod_perl.  To recap, the only way
Embperl can be used in a multi-threaded environment is if it is run in a
single thread.  This is of course a serious bottleneck and prevents the
Embperl user from getting the full benefit of Apache2's multi-threaded
MPMs.  iTransact, Inc. is looking for partners to help get this problem
fixed.

We're hoping to gather the resources of this list and share the cost of
fixing Embperl.  Gerald Richter of ECOS has given us a quote:

> >  ... would you be willing to give us an estimate
> > of how much you'd charge to do the fix?
> >

> I guess it will be a week of work and another week for sorting out all
> these
> "little" issues coming up after a first alpha release.
>
> We normally take 640Euro/day. If you get enough money to at least pay
> the
> first week of work, I can do it, of course it would be nice to get the
> second weeks payed also...
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Gerald

Gerald has given us tremendous support at no cost for as long as we've
been using Embperl, that's something like 7 or 8 years now.  I'm sure
that's true for everyone else on this list.  Furthermore we're deriving
the benefit of what appears to be a major rewrite in Embperl2.  It would
be great if we could pay for the full two weeks to fix Embperl2 to work
in the Apache2/mod_perl environment.  The full cost is:

8960 Euro

Here's a little chart for breakdown by number of partners:

partners   cost each
--------   --------
   2       4480 Euro
   3       2986 Euro
   4       2240 Euro
   5       1792 Euro
   6       1493 Euro
   7       1280 Euro
   8       1120 Euro
   9       995 Euro
   10      896 Euro
   20      448 Euro

(Today's exchange rate is about $0.75 per Euro)

iTransact is be able to participate at the 8-partner level.  Please
respond to the list if your company is able to partner with us to bring
Embperl along to Apache2/mod_perl.

Thanks,

   Gary Shea
   shea@gtsdesign.com
   Salt Lake City,  Utah

RE: Call for Partners: Embperl multi-threading issues fix

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> Ok, so everything you would need is to make changes to Embperl then ?

Yes. In case I would find a problem within mod_perl I would of course fix it
too, so at the end we have Embperl running with mod_perl in a threaded
environment. This is necessary for running Apache 2/mod_perl 2 and Embperl
on Windows (there is only a threaded Apache) and would be nice to have on
Unix (I expect a performance improvement, at least it will require less
memory, which is an important fact for sites with a lot of requests)

Gerald

Re: Call for Partners: Embperl multi-threading issues fix

Posted by Stefan Cars <st...@snowfall.se>.
Gerald Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>We would be happy to be involved. My question is though, how
>>well does threads work in mod_perl nowadays , from what I
>>understand mod_perl also needs alot of working to be working
>>good and fast using threads ?
>>

> As far as I am aware everything that is needed to run Embperl in a threaded
> mod_perl is working without problems. The only thing is that you need a
> recent Perl version (at least 5.8.2)
>
> Gerald

Ok, so everything you would need is to make changes to Embperl then ?

Kind Regards,
Stefan Cars

RE: Call for Partners: Embperl multi-threading issues fix

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Stefan Cars <st...@snowfall.se>.
Hi!