Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Andrew Ash <an...@andrewash.com> on 2014/12/14 08:43:27 UTC

Governance of the Jenkins whitelist

Jenkins is a really valuable tool for increasing quality of incoming
patches to Spark, but I've noticed that there are often a lot of patches
waiting for testing because they haven't been approved for testing.

Certain users can instruct Jenkins to run on a PR, or add other users to a
whitelist. How does governance work for that list of admins?  Meaning who
is currently on it, and what are the requirements to be on that list?

Can I be permissioned to allow Jenkins to run on certain PRs?  I've often
come across well-intentioned PRs that are languishing because Jenkins has
yet to run on them.

Andrew

Re: Governance of the Jenkins whitelist

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
Hey Andrew,

The list of admins is maintained by the Amplab as part of their
donation of this infrastructure. The reason why we need to have admins
is that the pull request builder will fetch and then execute arbitrary
user code, so we need to do a security audit before we can approve
testing new patches. Over time when we get to know users we usually
whitelist them so they can test whatever they want.

I can see offline if the Amplab would be open to adding you as an
admin. I think we've added people over time who are very involved in
the community. Just wanted to send this e-mail so people understand
how it works.

- Patrick