Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gulliver Smith <gu...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/02 22:38:30 UTC

Silent failure to deploy or run from configuration descriptor

Apache Tomcat/7.0.28, Debian

I have two configuration descriptors in /etc/tomcat7/Catalina/localhost/

One, solr.xml deploys correctly and fills catalina.out with lots of
useful messages.

The other fails silently to start (see below).

I see the message "INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor" in
catalina.out; then there is nothing else in catalina.out.

Is there any way to cause Tomcat to output more debug information? I
haven't been able to narrow an internet search to get useful answers
for this problem.

The most annoying thing is that this has worked fine for at least one
Tomcat 6 installation.

The deployment descriptor is

<Context docBase="/opt/myApp/MyApp.war"
         crossContext="true" >
  <Resource
      name="jdbc/LockDB"
      auth="Container"
      type="javax.sql.DataSource"
      maxActive="100"
      maxIdle="30"
      maxWait="10000"
      removeAbandoned="true"
      testWhileIdle="true"
      timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="60000"
      driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
      username="myApp"
      password="xxxxxx"
      url="jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1/myApp" />
   <Loader
    className="org.apache.catalina.loader.VirtualWebappLoader"
    virtualClasspath="/opt/myApp/ext/*.jar;/opt/myApp/resources/" />
</Context>

Thanks for any guidance

Re: Silent failure to deploy or run from configuration descriptor

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> Apache Tomcat/7.0.28, Debian
>
> I have two configuration descriptors in /etc/tomcat7/Catalina/localhost/
>
> One, solr.xml deploys correctly and fills catalina.out with lots of
> useful messages.
>

> The other fails silently to start (see below).
>
> I see the message "INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor" in
> catalina.out; then there is nothing else in catalina.out.

1. Try with an up-to-date version of 7.0. (Such as 7.0.42 or 7.0.54).

2. If you use docBase="xxx/foo.war"  Tomcat 6 will unpack the war file
into docbase directory.

Early versions of Tomcat 7 do not unpacked the war file and run it as is.
Unpacking was reimplemented starting with 7.0.48 (BZ 51294)

Is your application able to run from an non-unpacked war?

3. "catalina.out" is not a proper log file. That is just catch of
console output.

What is in other log files (localhost.<date>.log)?

4. Scanning for annotations in a web application may take noticeable time.
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo/FasterStartUp

Take a thread dump and see what background thread is doing.

Do you have other symptoms of whether the application has been
deployed? Is its directory created in Tomcat's "work" directory? Is it
listed in manager webapp? Does it respond to HTTP requests?

> (...)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko