Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Robin Green <gr...@hotmail.com> on 2000/05/12 20:22:48 UTC

[offtopic] Mad Ideas Re: Direction of links

Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>When you put <link href="blah.xml">Blah</link> in your document, you create
>something you can easily break, it is even worse if your link has to
>contain meta data about the destination.
>
>What happens when you want to find out "what links to me?" if you have one
>way links scattered throughout your documents.
>
>OK, I am rambling .....

No, I think you're onto something.

Take a deep breath, this is totally insane -

How about a totally object-oriented quote "filesystem" unquote, down to the
character level with every required level of semantic structure inbetween
(XML, files, collections of files, you name it), with dynamic optimisation
(a la Hotspot for data as well as code) for most often used queries etc.?
That way everything on your system could be viewed as being part of a
systemwide "object database" and addressed as such (it'd have to be one heck
of a powerful object database, but still).

Base it on the principle that actual rate of stored "information" increase
(in the Shannon sense - useful data not redundancy) coming from the real
world is often quite small in many applications (it's limited by the speed
of people typing at keyboards, or scanners, barcode readers etc.) and you
can index data as you input it (to an extent - obviously there are large
combinations of ways in which you might want to index data).

If you set it up right (or if the heuristics worked right you wouldn't even
have to configure it) it would give you "instant" SQL, XQL etc. query power
over your XML "files" - and _anything_ on your system - even in-memory Java
objects, given sufficient security permissions - not just your conventional
databases.

Obviously that's some way off (!), but it's something I'd like to look into
in my PhD (if I make the grade). That and/or Intentional Programming, which
kind of fits in to object databases because programs in IP are represented
as trees of objects IIRC.

Mix in molecular nanocomputing ( www.foresight.org ), and this might be
_almost_ feasible! ;-)

clean-page.xml doesn't work

Posted by ??? <ia...@ncec.tongji.edu.cn>.
I still can't get the clean-page.xml work. It says that :
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:logic. The attribute
will be ignored.

My test platform:
Winnt 4
Apache 1.3.12
Tomcat 20000418
Cocoon 1.73 (the release version)

Why?
Please help me out. Thanks a lot.

RE: [offtopic] Mad Ideas Re: Direction of links

Posted by Erik Norvelle <er...@norvelle.net>.
How does the Ozone XML database relate to this?  I have been looking into it
as a back end for my Cocoon applications...

-Erik Norvelle

-- Snippet from Ozone site (http://www.ozone-db.org/ozone_main.html) --

ozone is a fully featured, object-oriented database management system
completely implemented in Java and distributed under an open source license.
The main goal of the ozone project is to evolve a technology that allows
developers to build pure object-oriented, pure Java database applications.
Just program your Java objects and let them run in a transaction based,
database environment.

ozone includes a fully W3C compliant DOM implementation that allows you to
store XML data. You can use any XML tool to provide and access these data.
Support classes for Apache Xerces-J and Xalan-J are included.

ozone does not depend on any back-end database or mapping technology to
actually save objects. It contains its own clustered storage and cache
system to handle persistent Java objects.

-- end snippet --

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Robin Green wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >When you put <link href="blah.xml">Blah</link> in your document, you create
> >something you can easily break, it is even worse if your link has to
> >contain meta data about the destination.
> >
> >What happens when you want to find out "what links to me?" if you have one
> >way links scattered throughout your documents.
> >
> >OK, I am rambling .....
>
> No, I think you're onto something.
>
> Take a deep breath, this is totally insane -
>
> How about a totally object-oriented quote "filesystem" unquote, down to the
> character level with every required level of semantic structure inbetween
> (XML, files, collections of files, you name it), with dynamic optimisation
> (a la Hotspot for data as well as code) for most often used queries etc.?
> That way everything on your system could be viewed as being part of a
> systemwide "object database" and addressed as such (it'd have to be one heck
> of a powerful object database, but still).
>
> Base it on the principle that actual rate of stored "information" increase
> (in the Shannon sense - useful data not redundancy) coming from the real
> world is often quite small in many applications (it's limited by the speed
> of people typing at keyboards, or scanners, barcode readers etc.) and you
> can index data as you input it (to an extent - obviously there are large
> combinations of ways in which you might want to index data).
>
> If you set it up right (or if the heuristics worked right you wouldn't even
> have to configure it) it would give you "instant" SQL, XQL etc. query power
> over your XML "files" - and _anything_ on your system - even in-memory Java
> objects, given sufficient security permissions - not just your conventional
> databases.
>
> Obviously that's some way off (!), but it's something I'd like to look into
> in my PhD (if I make the grade). That and/or Intentional Programming, which
> kind of fits in to object databases because programs in IP are represented
> as trees of objects IIRC.
>
> Mix in molecular nanocomputing ( www.foresight.org ), and this might be
> _almost_ feasible! ;-)

You are talking about an XML-oriented file system with XPath and
XInclude capabilities.

Add revisioning and ACID properties and voilĂ : the perfect substrate for
Cocoon.

Guess what? I was having the exact same thoughts about the need of
something like this.... but it's way beyond my actual scope.

Anyway, if you want to write it and start a project around here, I'm
_sure_ others will be enthusiasts :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.