Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org> on 2017/09/29 05:50:20 UTC

[DISCUSS] Proposed resolution to graduate the PredictionIO podling

Hi all,

Please provide your feedback on this proposed graduation resolution by the
PredictionIO community below. We are hoping to reach a consensus here
before we start a recommendation vote. Thanks!

Regards,
Donald

-----

    X. Establish the Apache PredictionIO Project

       open-source software, for distribution at no charge to
       the public, related to a machine learning server built on top of
       state-of-the-art open source stack, that enables developers to manage
       and deploy production-ready predictive services for various kinds of
       machine learning tasks.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache PredictionIO Project",
       Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache PredictionIO Project be and hereby is
       related to a machine learning server built on top of
       state-of-the-art open source stack, that enables developers to manage
       and deploy production-ready predictive services for various kinds of
       machine learning tasks;
       and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache PredictionIO" be
       and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
       serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
       of the Apache PredictionIO Project, and to have primary
responsibility
       for management of the projects within the scope of
       responsibility of the Apache PredictionIO Project; and be it further

       Apache PredictionIO Project:

         * Alex Merritt <em...@apache.org>
         * Andrew Kyle Purtell <ap...@apache.org>
         * Chan Lee <ch...@apache.org>
         * Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org>
         * Felipe Oliveira <fe...@apache.org>
         * James Taylor <jt...@apache.org>
         * Justin Yip <yi...@apache.org>
         * Kenneth Chan <ke...@apache.org>
         * Lars Hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
         * Lee Moon Soo <mo...@apache.org>
         * Luciano Resende <lr...@apache.org>
         * Marcin Ziemiński <zi...@apache.org>
         * Marco Vivero <mv...@apache.org>
         * Mars Hall <ma...@apache.org>
         * Matthew Tovbin <to...@apache.org>
         * Naoki Takezoe <ta...@apache.org>
         * Pat Ferrel <pa...@apache.org>
         * Paul Li <pa...@apache.org>
         * Shinsuke Sugaya <sh...@apache.org>
         * Simon Chan <si...@apache.org>
         * Takahiro Hagino <ha...@apache.org>
         * Takako Shimamoto <sh...@apache.org>
         * Tamas Jambor <tj...@apache.org>
         * Tom Chan <tc...@apache.org>
         * Vitaly Gordon <vi...@apache.org>
         * Xiangrui Meng <me...@apache.org>
         * Xusen Yin <yi...@apache.org>
         * Yevgeny Khodorkovsky <ye...@apache.org>

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Donald Szeto
       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache PredictionIO, to
       serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
       death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
       or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache PredictionIO PMC be and hereby is
       tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
       encourage open development and increased participation in the
       Apache PredictionIO Project; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache PredictionIO Project be and hereby
       Incubator PredictionIO podling; and be it further

       Incubator PredictionIO podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
       Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposed resolution to graduate the PredictionIO podling

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
oh, nm I found it. Pasted below, there were no dissenters to Donald’s detailed assessment.

On Sep 29, 2017, at 3:27 PM, Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com> wrote:

Actually we did go over the maturity checklist ourselves. Donald, maybe you can forwards the thread here.

================ pasted from the thread on dev@predictionio.incubator.apache.org <ma...@predictionio.incubator.apache.org> ==================

Begin forwarded message:

From: Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org>
Subject: Re: Graduation to TLP
Date: September 5, 2017 at 10:32:08 AM PDT
To: dev@predictionio.incubator.apache.org

Thanks for the clarification Pat! It always help to have Apache veterans to
provide historical context to these processes.

As for me, I'd like to remain as PMC and committer.

I like the idea of polling the current committers and PMC, but like you
said, most of them got pretty busy and may not be reading mailing list in a
while. Maybe let me try a shout out here and see if anyone would
acknowledge it, so that we know whether a poll will be effective.

*>> If you're a PMC or committer who see this line but hasn't been replying
this thread, please acknowledge. <<*

Regarding the maturity model, this is my perception right now:
- CD10, CD20, CD30, CD40 (and we start to have CD50 as well)
- LC10, LC20, LC30, LC40, LC50
- RE10, RE20, RE30, RE50 (I think we hope to also do RE40 with 0.12)
- QU10, QU30, QU40, QU50 (we should put a bit of focus to QU20)
- CO10, CO20, CO30, CO40, CO60, CO70 (for CO50, I think we've been
operating under the assumption that PMC and contributors are pretty
standard definitions by ASF. We can call those out explicitly.)
- CS10, CS50 (We are also assuming implicitly CS20, CS30, and CS40 from
main ASF doc)
- IN10, IN20

Let me know what you think.

From: Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org>
Date: September 5, 2017 at 10:32:08 AM PDT
To: dev@predictionio.incubator.apache.org

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
Actually we did go over the maturity checklist ourselves. Donald, maybe you can forwards the thread here.

On Sep 29, 2017, at 2:04 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> wrote:

Hi John,

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 2:59 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I wouldn't conflate lack of mentor engagement with a project's readiness to
> graduate, though I do agree with just hearing from them...

Yes, what I was asking for is a clear statement from the mentors about
graduation readiness, as I think they are the best placed to judge
that. Andrew has provided that now.

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposed resolution to graduate the PredictionIO podling

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi John,

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Thank you Shane!

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 4:51 PM, Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org> wrote:

> Awesome. Thanks for your clarification Shane!
>
> On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 4:44 PM Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>
> > Andrew Purtell wrote on 10/3/17 5:59 PM:
> > > I think we can proceed to a vote as soon as Shane confirms we are good
> on
> > > the PredictionIO trademark transfer. Should we ping him?
> >
> > The trademark assignment is signed, so you're all set to vote for
> > graduation recommendation!
> >
> > Note that the ownership of the trademark in the USPTO's system will take
> > a while to file the paperwork to show the change of ownership (sometimes
> > a while...) but that doesn't matter for graduation.
> >
> > --
> >
> > - Shane
> >   https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposed resolution to graduate the PredictionIO podling

Posted by Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org>.
Yes Andrew. That would be great.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I think we can proceed to a vote as soon as Shane confirms we are good on
the PredictionIO trademark transfer. Should we ping him?

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for input! Should we wait for more comments, or is this a
> good time to move to a recommendation vote?
>
> Regards,
> Donald
>
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <
> bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Andrew Purtell
> > <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > ...I think they are ready to graduate...
> >
> > Thank you very much for your comments, with this I'm +1 for graduation.
> >
> > The resolution looks good to me.
> >
> > -Bertrand

Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposed resolution to graduate the PredictionIO podling

Posted by Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
I am mentor and champion.

I've made some comment on the incubator reports to the board about readiness, in the past few reports. PredictionIO has gotten the hang of making releases, is reliably following ASF policies and practice (I lurk on all the lists), has grown their PPMC, and on their own initiative raised the prospect of graduation, self-assessing they are ready, which is a signal of readiness in its own right in my opinion. They've done this despite a lack of engagement of their mentors.

I think they are ready to graduate.

If you would like me to expand on any of this please ask.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi,