Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2003/01/15 10:48:03 UTC

[users@httpd] Ssl proxy

Hi Guys,
I am looking for ssl reverse proxy server. I want a ssl connection
between client with browser and my proxy server. Then the proxy server
should connect to request site in http/https.
So the proxy server rules will look like as follows

		Sends request
get request from internet
Client------------------------------->Proxy server
------------------------------------------->Internet
Browser 	SSL				Apache with Proxy and
Any site on the internet
						mod_ssl +Rewrite module
i.e. IE

Is it possible? Can I have a ssl proxy setup on apache?

Please help

James.

Re: [users@httpd] Ssl proxy

Posted by Laurent Blume <la...@infores.com>.
Since I've never configured Apache as a proxy myself, I can't give you a
very detailed help, but at least a good direction.

First, proxy servers are not simulating the server in any way. Actually,
most proxy servers are using port 8080 (it's just a tradition, not a
standard :-)
You configure that value in your client browser (proxy address and port
number), so that for *any* URL you type in the browser, it first
connects to the proxy on its address/port, the proxy then processes the
data in any way.
So, even if you have HTTPS, or are connecting to a non standard port,
the browser will send data to the proxy on its usual address, telling it
"hey, here is some data to send to that URL, can you do that for me?".

To my (limited) knowledge on proxies, there is no special configuration
to do this (except, of course, allowing it - most proxies can deny
connection to/from addresses and port as a security measure).

I hope this makes it clearer on how it works, I think you will find
detailed instructions in FAQ/How-tos now that you have a better idea
about it all.

Laurent

--
   IRI-Secodip                  www.infores.com