Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Garry Heaton <ga...@heaton6.freeserve.co.uk> on 2000/12/13 22:23:21 UTC

(Beginner) Is there a Windows zip download of mod_Perl?

I'm new to mod_Perl and fairly new to Perl, having just begun my journey
through the desert on the back of Camel Mk3. I've  successfully installed
and configured Apache 1.3 on Windows 98. Trouble is all the mod_Perl
downloads are .tar files. Does this mean I can't run it on my Windows
version of Apache? Please, if anyone can tell me where I can download a .zip
file I'd be grateful.

Best wishes

Garry Heaton

Re: (Beginner) Is there a Windows zip download of mod_Perl?

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
At 21:11 13/12/2000 -0600, Randy Kobes wrote:
>If you have ActivePerl (build 6xx), there's a mod_perl ppm package,
>and some other Apache::* ppms, available at
>   http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/
>Choose the mod_perl ppd corresponding to your Apache version.
>You can install these via the ppm utility:
>ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/whatever.ppd
>Also at this location is a sample Apache httpd.conf for
>Win32 mod_perl.

As someone who has had to run a fairly complex mod_perl site on win32
because I can't use my linux dev box right now I can tell you that that
mod_perl build works very well (thank you so much Randy !). Of course it
doesn't fix limitations inherent to the win32 platform (mostly that you
can't rely on PerlChildInitHandler to do what you'd expect, you'll have to
change that to some other phase if you need it, and alarm doesn't work
(fork does now iirc)). Even better, I've heard from a friend that the
Sablotron people will be releasing a ppm for XML::Sablotron very soon, so
that AxKit will work on win32 too...

When that's done, just install Cygwin's distro, and you might cease to
notice that you're running win32 altogether :)

-- robin b.
Designing pages in HTML is like having sex in a bathtub. If you don't know
anything about sex, it won't do you any good to know a lot about bathtubs.

Re: (Beginner) Is there a Windows zip download of mod_Perl?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Garry Heaton wrote:

> I'm new to mod_Perl and fairly new to Perl, having just begun my journey
> through the desert on the back of Camel Mk3. I've  successfully installed
> and configured Apache 1.3 on Windows 98. Trouble is all the mod_Perl
> downloads are .tar files. Does this mean I can't run it on my Windows
> version of Apache? Please, if anyone can tell me where I can download a .zip
> file I'd be grateful.

If you have ActivePerl (build 6xx), there's a mod_perl ppm package,
and some other Apache::* ppms, available at
   http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/
Choose the mod_perl ppd corresponding to your Apache version.
You can install these via the ppm utility:
ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/whatever.ppd
Also at this location is a sample Apache httpd.conf for
Win32 mod_perl.

Bearing in mind some Win32 peculiarities, the mod_perl docs,
http://perl.apache.org/ (particularly the guide), and
http://take23.org/ have lots of info to get you started.

best regards,
randy kobes