Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2013/08/18 19:24:31 UTC

[VOTE] Release uimaFIT 2.0.0 rc2

Hi,

I've posted uimaFIT 2.0.0 rc2.  There were 85 Jiras fixed, see

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.0.0uimaFIT%22

The source and binary zip/tars are staged to
http://people.apache.org/~rec/uimafit-release-candidates/2.0.0-rc2/
<http://people.apache.org/%7Erec/uimafit-release-candidates/2.0.0-rc2/>

The Maven artifacts are here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-104/org/apache/uima/

The SVN tags are here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/sandbox/uimafit/tags/uimafit-2.0.0-rc2

See http://uima.apache.org/testing-builds.html for suggestions on how to test
release candidates.

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ] 0   Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because …

This RC incorporates the comments from Marshal (thanks!) on RC1 as well as some issues that meanwhile had cropped up.

Thanks.

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] Release uimaFIT 2.0.0 rc2

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.
Added an explanatory section on the modules, including the Spring module,
in the README.

I did search if "Spring Framework" was trademarked, but apparently it is not.
Some people seem to be cautious and add a (tm) behind it, but I did not found
is being attributed to any entity. Neither did a USTPO TESS search yield any
results. So I didn't add a TM for Spring in the README.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
nice blog link :-)

My personal preference is to be perhaps more up-front/transparent, and state in
the README what you say here - that it's there as a proof-of-concept etc.

-Marshall

> uimafit-spring is an experimental module. I built it as a proof of concept,
> but never used it myself. Still, it has been made public (even to Maven
> Central) in case somebody finds it useful. Apparently, it has found some
> users (and even somebody to blog about it!) [1], but I have never considered
> it as finished or an official part of the package. It has been released with
> past releases with the same version number as the rest of uimaFIT to
> Maven Central. It wasn't part of the binary distribution though.
>
> Personally, I'd stick to that strategy. Put it on Maven for the hardcore
> few that may find it useful, but keep it out of the binary distribution,
> at least until it has received some more attention. Currently, it uses
> reflection to patch itself into the UIMA framework and then passes all
> components created through UIMA through Spring to provide for the wiring
> of Spring context dependencies.
>
> -- Richard
>
> [1] http://agibsonccc.tumblr.com
>
> Am 19.08.2013 um 21:59 schrieb Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>:
>
>> missed one:
>>
>> The build builds uimafit-spring, but that's not a dependency by anything?
>> Is it needed?
>>
>> -Marshall
>>
>> On 8/19/2013 3:26 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
>>> The binary release includes 3 jars from uimafit:
>>>
>>> uimafit-core
>>> uimafit-cpe

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
missed one:

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
> They are not needed, but convenient to have. The CPE stuff was moved
> to a separate JAR to reduce the dependencies for uimafit-core. It might
> deserve a mention in the documentation. I wouldn't see it as critical though.
>
> The legacy JAR is actually documented, but the documentation is not included
> with the release :/
>
> What do you think, should the migration information be in the README, in
> the docbook?
I have a slight preference for the docbook, with a mention of it's existence in
the readme.  Wikis sometimes have a poor reputation of not being thought of as
up-to-date.
 -Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release uimaFIT 2.0.0 rc2 - release notes or augmented readme in the binary distribution

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Some information normally present in a binary packaging is missing - things
normally present in release notes.  These include a link to the issues-fixed
list (which is also missing in the binary distribution), as well as a high level
summary of the release (e.g., what's new, etc.).

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I did a compare source w/ svn checkout - OK (but found some iffy files with
respect to line endings).

I checked the licenses & notices, they seem OK, including inside JARs we build.

I checked the signatures / md5/sha - OK

I cleared my .m2 of uimafit things and built from source - OK (except for
excessive RAT excludes, and some pdf formatting issues)

So, basically, I think this is OK to release, except there's quite a few mostly
minor things that probably should be fixed, but not quite show stoppers; because
of this, I recommend fixing these and doing rc3.

So, I'm voting +0 for now :-).

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
two more:  uimafit-cpe and uimafit-docbook exclude non-existent wiki

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I'm starting to review this release.  Here's the first batch - non-blockers in
my opinion.

1) The issues fixed title is in German; it says "JIRA-Bericht"

2) The binary distr is missing the issues fixed.  The source distribution has
this not at the top level, but rather, as a directory under the uimafit-parent.

3) Some test files might or might not need to have the svn eol-style set
differently than "native", if the tests depend on the line end style being a
certain way.  I don't know if this is an issue, but did see one file in examples
with file time ".pos" that looked like test data.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
> Am 19.08.2013 um 06:41 schrieb Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>:
>
>> general question: the source-release zip has a top level folder called "wiki".
>> What's the intent of this?
> It is an artifact of the build process. I have changed the setup so that the
> aggregator POM is also used for the release (as in uimaj). In the initial
> contribution, the "wiki" folder was supplied as a directory under the root.
> Since the source zip basically takes a snapshot of the SVN layout, it is
> included.
>
> So actually, there is no intent to include it - it is just historically in a
> location which in included in the source build.
+1 to move to an archive spot, or, even, svn delete it (it's still there of
course and can be recovered if needed).
-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
one responder from trademarks@ thinks that Apache uimaFIT(tm) (on first use) is
fine.

I tend to agree with this, and think this is a good solution.

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
> Am 19.08.2013 um 17:00 schrieb Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>:
>
>> Also, pdf formatting seems off for literals included in section headers - the
>> font is too small.
> I'm removing the fixed-width font references. This would need to be fixed somewhere
> in the overall docbook style.
>
>> The publication date is missing on pg 2 (I notice this has gone missing in the
>> uima-sdk 2.4.2 too)
> The respective UIMA helper plugin doesn't seem to get called anymore and when I copy it
> explicitly to the uimaFIT POM, it triggers an exception about not being able to convert
> an Object into a Date within the plugin. Working around this by using the
> buildnumber-maven-plugin from codehaus as an alternative.
debugged - was 2 errors.  I'll put up a jira...

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
minor pdf formatting issue - program listing lines too long:

pg: 9, 14, 19, 20, 30, 31,

Also, pdf formatting seems off for literals included in section headers - the
font is too small.

The publication date is missing on pg 2 (I notice this has gone missing in the
uima-sdk 2.4.2 too)

(not blockers, I think).

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
README has the wrong "group-id" for maven for uimaFIT

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release uimaFIT 2.0.0 rc2 - partial inclusion of uimaj sdk

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 19.08.2013 18:17, schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
> I have wondered for some time if a binary release makes sense for uimaFIT at all.
> uimaFIT 1.4.x included a binary release as convenience for those people that do
> not use Maven. The idea was to provide them with all the libraries that uimaFIT
> needs to run, so they do not have to chase them down on the web. The purpose
> of the uimaFIT binary release is therefore quite different from that of the
> UIMA SDK or of UIMA-AS. uimaFIT is a (set of) libraries, not an application
> or tool.
>
> A note in the README is easily added. But I would not want to add more from
> the standard UIMA SDK release. Rather, I'd completely forego the binary release
> and just distribute uimaFIT via Maven. After all, there doesn't seem to be a
> binary release or zipped update site for Ruta either.

I am waiting until someone complains. If nobody needs binary release,
there won't be one.

Peter

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.
I added a note to the README file:

uimaFIT is a part of the Apache UIMA(TM) project. uimaFIT can only be used in conjunction with
a compatible version of the Java version of the Apache UIMA SDK. For your convenience, the binary
distribution package of uimaFIT includes all libraries necessary to use uimaFIT. In particular for
novice users, it is strongly advised to obtain a copy of the full UIMA SDK separately.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
suspicious:  There are 2 files in uimafit-core, in src/test/resources/data, one
called unix-newlines.txt and the other called windows-newlines.txt.

Both of these files have the svn flag eol-style:native set.

If these are meant to be tests for different kinds of newlines, that makes these
fail.  The source-release.zip has copies of these with the same newlines
(because the source release was built from an svn checkout).

(assuming this needs fixing:) While fixing this, please see if there are any
other test data where the kind of new line is important, and fix those too.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.
- Cleared Maven repo fully
- Downloaded source zip
- Builds ok

- Cleared Maven repo fully
- Checked out tag
- Built

- source and binary archives appear ok. LICENSE and NOTICE are in place

- The examples folder is for information only - it's not really meant to be buildable or something atm. This should be improved in the future.

[X] +1 OK to release

- Richard

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.
Am 19.08.2013 um 23:23 schrieb Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>:

> (curiosity question)
>
> In the source tree, I see files / directories in src/test/resources/data/html,
> some with names like "2", or "4", and some with empty directories, etc.
>
> Are all the resources in test being used, and if not, perhaps they could be
> deleted (or moved to some archive spot, etc.)?

Thanks for noticing. They were not used. I just deleted them.
The remaining resources look sane.