Posted to jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org by debussy007 <de...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/23 12:48:20 UTC

Cache MySQL data ?

Hi,

I would like to know if JCS would speed up my application. I describe very
shortly the application:

The application consists of multiple servers listening for messages
(Strings) received through Sockets. Each message is processed by separate
tasks (Threads) managed in a ThreadPool. There may be more than 1000 of
messages in second per server, so that's more than thousands of tasks
queuing in the ThreadPool and I want those to be executed as fast as
possible, and some of them have to connect to a MySQL DB, through JDBC. The
data that needs to be read from MySQL is infrequently changed and it is
updated by a website in PHP.

Questions:

* Is it a good idea here to use JCS to cache the MySQL data instead of
accesing them each time using JDBC ? I am not sure if a remote cache (as
there are multiple servers accessing it should thus be remote) will be
faster then a MySQL connection and query. If so, who should store the data
in JCS ?

* As the MySQL data is updated by a separate application (in this case, a
php website), how should I update the cache so that the servers have the
latest updates ?

Thank you for any help.

Re: Cache MySQL data ?

Posted by Aaron Smuts <as...@yahoo.com>.
If the data is infrequently changed and accessed often, your application could probably benefit from caching.  It depends, in part, on how much data we are talking about and how costly it is to retrieve.  . . .   If you store it locally and you want to make sure that different local caches are updated when changes are made, then using a remote cache to broadcast the updates is an option.  You could also use the lateral cache to broadcast changes.  If it's ok for the data to be somewhat out of synch, then you could simply set the expiration time low.  . . .

Aaron