Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by dvesely <dv...@webprecision.com> on 2007/12/20 08:43:43 UTC

Bounce notification

I have setup bounce notification for my spamassasin mail server but my server
manager has reccomended that I do not use it. He wrote:

We can't configure Bouncing the SPAM message at Server level, but we can do
this at domain level.

If we configured to bounce at Domain level, it will affect the server's
performance, because the Server DS109 is blocking around 12,500 SPAM
messages per day. If you want to bounce those entire messages then your mail
server will comes to halt.

The most of the SPAM message will have forged FROM address, So the server
has to deals with returned bounce messages also. This is a processor and
Memory hungry task.

===========================

This is not acceptable to me because people have to be notified because
there are always false positives.

Is he correct? Will this kill my server?

What's the best way to setup bounce notification?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Dan

Re: Bounce notification

Posted by Graham Murray <gr...@gmurray.org.uk>.
dvesely <dv...@webprecision.com> writes:

> What's the best way to setup bounce notification?

The best way is to not bounce at all but reject with a 5xx code during
the SMPT conversation. Though be careful to only do this at 'border'
MTAs (those listed in the MX records for the destination domain) not on
internal servers.

Re: Bounce notification

Posted by Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu>.
dvesely <dv...@webprecision.com> wrote:

> I have setup bounce notification for my spamassasin mail server but my
> server manager has reccomended that I do not use it. He wrote:
>
> We can't configure Bouncing the SPAM message at Server level, but we can
> do this at domain level.
>
> If we configured to bounce at Domain level, it will affect the server's
> performance, because the Server DS109 is blocking around 12,500 SPAM
> messages per day. If you want to bounce those entire messages then your
> mail server will comes to halt.
>
> The most of the SPAM message will have forged FROM address, So the server
> has to deals with returned bounce messages also. This is a processor and
> Memory hungry task.

I don't know what "level" means.  Mail for webprecision.com goes to
smtp-in.webprecision.com.  That host should either refuse spam during
the SMTP transaction (like "550 This looks like spam"), or accept and
keep.  It should never accept and then mail back a bounce.  Most of
the senders are not deliverable, and most of the rest are deliverable
to innocent people whose addresses were faked by the spammer.

I agree with your desire to notify senders because of false positives.
This is accomplished by having smtp-in.webprecision.com refuse.  Legit
servers that get a 550 will notify the sender.

If you mean that smtp-in.webprecision.com accepts everything, and
re-sends to another host that runs Spamassassin, then all you can do
is score and tag, and the recipient will have to notice the fp's.

Joseph Brennan

Re: Bounce notification

Posted by AxisInternet <ax...@gmail.com>.
dvesely wrote:
> My server manager tells me that my Windows version of SpamAssasin cannot
> reject email at the SMTP level. This is only possibble in the Unix version.
> True or False?
>
> If false, can you give me a link to instructions on enabling this feature or
> any known workaround please?

SpamAssassin, in an of itself, cannot reject messages at any level. You can
'wrap' it with other scripts or applications that can reject messages based
on their SA scores though - such as with MailScanner - www.mailscanner.info

Chris

Re: Bounce notification

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 21.12.07 13:01, dvesely wrote:
> I am running a windows server with Smartermail and SpamAssasin. While I
> understand what you are telling me below I would really appreciate a
> suggestion or reccomendation on how to setup a system that will control spam
> and notify users who's email is blocked in error.

notify who about what? If you reject at SMTP level, notifications to senders
are up to the sending SMTP servers. You even don't want to notify receivers
- if you users don't want be abused by the spam, they surely don't want to
be abused by the notifications about each spam blocked.

Just configure rejection with score high enough (I use 10) and you won't
have to take care about notifications.

(scores above 7 may appear in some "hams", sent by lame mailer from users
who don't know about that)

M$ Win's are shit, do not use it !

Re: Bounce notification

Posted by dvesely <dv...@webprecision.com>.
I am running a windows server with Smartermail and SpamAssasin. While I
understand what you are telling me below I would really appreciate a
suggestion or reccomendation on how to setup a system that will control spam
and notify users who's email is blocked in error.

Any suggestions or examples you can give would be appreciated.

Dan

Re: Bounce notification

Posted by Rick Mallett <rm...@ccs.carleton.ca>.
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Bob Proulx wrote:

> dvesely wrote:
>> My server manager tells me that my Windows version of SpamAssasin cannot
>> reject email at the SMTP level. This is only possibble in the Unix version.
>> True or False?
>
> False but for a different reason.  False because the Unix version of
> SpamAssassin can't reject at the SMTP level either.  SpamAssassin is
[deleted]

> In the old days (and sadly today on some large organization site)
> border machines would receive the message and route the mail through
> multiple hops to a final destination machine.  At the final
> destination it might be undeliverable.  In that case a bounce message
> is generated and returned to the specified from address.  This has
> been used by spammers in the past to bounce their spam to their
> victims.  They create a known invalid address as the recipient at a
> site known to create bounce messages after having accepted them.  They
> forge a victim address as the from address.  The message can't be
> delivered and the bounce message then carries the spam payload message
> as a bounce reply to the forged victim from address as backscatter.
> Also known as a joe-job.

This is a bit off topic, but I've noticed that a lot of backscatter
arriving at my site has email addresses that are obviously forged to
be incorrect, as in john_doe_qq@carleton.ca, where the same address
without the "_qq" is a valid email address.

Its not a dictionary attack because the addresses are all different,
but each is a slight modification of a valid address, and I've always
assumed that the spammers using this technique don't want the bounced
messages delivered in order to cover their tracks.

However, that doesn't make much sense since any messages that did get
delivered (i.e. didn't get bounced) would have the same routing info
so why not use a valid bounce address to improve the odds that the
spam will get delivered somewhere.

Has anyone else encountered forged from addresses that are obviously
meant to be incorrect, and does anyone have any idea why a spammer might
choose to do that, rather than forge a correct address and double the odds
that the spam will get through.

- rick

Re: Bounce notification

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.

Re: Bounce notification

Posted by dvesely <dv...@webprecision.com>.
My server manager tells me that my Windows version of SpamAssasin cannot
reject email at the SMTP level. This is only possibble in the Unix version.
True or False?

If false, can you give me a link to instructions on enabling this feature or
any known workaround please?

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Bounce notification

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Dan Vesely wrote:
> If you reject at the smtp level how are users notified?
>
> There has to be a way to notify users if they are rejected so that they can
> contact the sender to be put on the white list.

The user would get a normal bounce return.  As far as the person
receiving the bounce message there is no difference between bouncing
messages at SMTP time and bouncing them later after having received
them.  They see the same message.  The critical difference is that
rejecting at smtp time avoids many of the problems with forged
addresses.

Example of a valid bounce case:

Alice sends Bob an email message.  The MTA on Alice's server contacts
the MTA on Bob's server using SMTP.  But unfortunately the address is
mistyped and can't be delivered.  At SMTP time the MTA on Bob's
machine rejects the message with the reason being no such user.  The
MTA on Alice's machine gets the rejection at SMTP time.  The MTA
delivers the bounce message to Alice.

Example of Backscatter:

Mallory sends Bob an spam email message.  Mallory wants to fool Bob
into thinking the message came from Alice.  Mallory forges Alice's
address on the message.  The MTA on Mallory's server contacts the MTA
on Bob's server.  Bob has miss-configured his server to accept all
messages and bounce undeliverable messages later.  The MTA on Bob's
server accepts the message.  After accepting the message, possibly
after forwarding to other internal servers such as is common on many
large networks, the system determines that the message is spam.  Bob
has miss-configured the system to send a reject message.  The MTA on
Bob's server sends a bounce message to Alice.  Alice gets a message
from Bob's server.  They payload of the message is the spam body from
Mallory.  Mallory repeats this with thousands of other servers.  Alice
is overloaded with "joe-job" backscatter spam.

Specifically in the case of spam it is now best practice to silently
discard messages without generating a rejection message to avoid being
a source of backscatter spam.

The same result of backscatter is possible if the message is not spam
but is undeliverable due to an invalid address.

Example of a Potential Backscatter Avoided:

Mallory sends Bob an spam email message.  Mallory wants to fool Bob
into thinking the message came from Alice.  Mallory forges Alice's
address on the message.  The MTA on Mallory's server contacts the MTA
on Bob's server.  Bob has properly configured his server to reject
undeliverable messages as early as possible at SMTP time.  The MTA on
Mallory's server finds the message rejected during the SMTP handshake.
Bob's server does not send a rejection notice to Alice and Alice
avoids any backscatter from Bob's system.

Bob

Re: Bounce notification

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.