Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu> on 2007/09/21 00:44:30 UTC

site:attach-descriptor in default lifecycle

I noticed a while back that the attach-descriptor is included in the
default lifecycle. Is this really needed for non-pom projects?

Also there is something bigger going on. Recently 2.0-SNAPSHOT of the
site plugin was added as a dependency to the dependency plugin. When the
dependency plugin is used in this instance, the build fails because
2.0-SNAPSHOT didn't include the attach-descriptor. Why then does a
plugin dependency in a plugin influence the version used by a build
itself? A person's build should be completely unrelated to the
dependencies of plugins being used. Something smells really wrong with
this, but I'm not sure. (SEE MDEP-113)

WDYT?

RE: site:attach-descriptor in default lifecycle

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I reproduced it with 2.0.7. I know exactly how to make an IT test for
this so I will work on that when I get some time.

On 21/09/2007, at 8:44 AM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> I noticed a while back that the attach-descriptor is included in the
> default lifecycle. Is this really needed for non-pom projects?

Yeah, only makes sense for pom projects I think.

> Also there is something bigger going on. Recently 2.0-SNAPSHOT of the
> site plugin was added as a dependency to the dependency plugin.
> When the
> dependency plugin is used in this instance, the build fails because
> 2.0-SNAPSHOT didn't include the attach-descriptor. Why then does a
> plugin dependency in a plugin influence the version used by a build
> itself? A person's build should be completely unrelated to the
> dependencies of plugins being used. Something smells really wrong with
> this, but I'm not sure. (SEE MDEP-113)

This does sound wrong - I can understand why a project's dependencies
are passed on to a plugin, but not a plugin's dependencies passed on
to another plugin (there is definitely classloader separation there).

Any idea of what version of Maven is used?

If you're not able to sort it out let me know and I can take a closer
look if you like.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org

Re: site:attach-descriptor in default lifecycle

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.