Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2009/01/04 18:02:54 UTC

Re: svn commit: r729396 [1/2] - in /ofbiz/trunk: applications/accounting/config/ applications/accounting/entitydef/ applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/invoice/ applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/payment/ applications/accou

Hi Bruno,

these service calls are part of the quickInitDataWarehouse method that
is just a util method to simplify the BI setup for demo purposes: I
know this is not ideal and I agree that the method should be moved
outside of the framework.
But maybe for now we could leave it as is and just add a comment to
it... it is really useful in demos and testing.

Jacopo

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 29, 2009, at 3:24 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2009, at 8:03 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> David, I totally agree, this is the plan. By the way, I already
>>> did the split, apart for the last service named
>>> quickInitDataWarehouse that I am not sure where to move... but it
>>> can be removed as well, for now it is just easier to test the BI
>>> features with it.
>>
>> That service is a good example of one that is a handy feature, and
>> that would be nice to always have, but written as-is would have
>> undesirable dependencies. The first solution that comes to mind is
>> to parameterize it in a way that higher level components can add
>> to, preferably without anything changed in any framework
>> component... which means the database might be most natural place
>> for the info (like some kind of list of services to run to init
>> data warehouse data).
>>
>> -David
>>

> This is an interesting idea... each component could "register" the
> init services required by its bi reports using the Enumeration entity.
> And then the BI component will just read the records and run the
> services associated to them. Or we could create JobSandox entries
> for the services, and just let the BI component to run them (reading
> the jobId from the Enumeration).
>
> Does it make sense?

Yes, that makes sense. Don't be afraid of a new entity though. They
are easy to define and then we don't have to use something that
doesn't fit well with this...

-David

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Bi started in special purpose than got moved to framework
it was moved to framework to be part of the core tools.
moving it to application removes the ability to be a core tool.

note david's comment:
2008/12/26 David E. Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>:
 I think you misunderstand. The main bi stuff is just a tool, and really
belongs in the framework.

Bruno Busco sent the following on 1/5/2009 1:11 AM:

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacopo,