Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2018/12/17 14:27:24 UTC

RfC: Gitbox migration; working on branches

Folks

Our repos got migrated to Gitbox. This is great. We can now directly
leverage GitHub pull request and code review functionality among other
things.

There are certain changes, however, we need to adjust to. We can no
longer force push to the master. We can still force push to stable
release branches such as HttpClient 4.5.x, which makes the whole thing
about treating the master differently completely pointless in my
opinion.

Anyway, I would like to propose that the actual development (new
features and bug fixes) be done on a dedicated branch, not directly on
master or stable release branches. This would enable us to review
things before they get merged into the respective release branches.
Pull requests would the preferred way of getting things merged into a
release branch.

We can decide how pull requests get merged, either by the release
manager or after a certain grace period by the author, or by any other
arrangement we all are comfortable with.

Oleg