Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by RobertSchreiber <ma...@robert-schreiber.de> on 2007/05/24 12:27:29 UTC

Shipwreck when downloading T5.0.5

Help! I'm trying to download the latest T5 Snapshot to see what the new
release is all about.

Up to now I was always fail with some obscure maven error message.

What do I do wrong? Is there any description what I have to do to get the
software ( including dependent libraries).

Why can't somebody deliver a jar file with everything in it, how the spring
guys do?

Wouldn't it be nice to have a t505-withdependencies.jar including
tapestry*.jar
javaassist.jar
etc...
workbench.war

Re: Shipwreck when downloading T5.0.5

Posted by "Eko S.W." <sw...@gmail.com>.
This is what I need!
Have try to download the new T5.0.5, but never works.

I'll try again.

Imho, Maven is a must.
It relives all the pain of maintaining dependency : you don't have to
memorize where they put the stuff on the net.
For example, you just told maven to use jetty-plug in and it'll kind
heartedly download it right to your local repository.
Another productive way is, you can switch to newer version of the
dependencies by just changing THE VERSION NUMBER on the pom.xml!

Recall that with Ant !!! :)

cmiiw
--
Best wishes,
Eko SW

Re: Shipwreck when downloading T5.0.5

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I was a little off on that last post, sorry to everyone following
this thread.

If you run this (notice the 5.0.4, not 5.0.3)
C:\Projects\wtpworkspace>mvn archetype:create -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.tape
stry -DarchetypeArtifactId=quickstart -DarchetypeVersion=5.0.4 -DgroupId=org.exa
mple -DartifactId=myapp -DpackageName=org.example.myapp -Dversion=1.0.0-SNAPSHOT

Then in your pom it will have 5.0.4-SNAPSHOT.  Since 5.0.4 has been
released, change this to 5.0.4

Now you can run

mvn clean install -U

and
mvn jetty:run

And the app should be at:

http://localhost:8080/myapp

Re: Shipwreck when downloading T5.0.5

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
Maven 2.0.6 works fine for quickstart. I switched back to 2.0.5
yesterday, per recommendation, and it made no difference to me.

Steps for now, until the quickstart example is fixed:  Use the
quickstart archetype command line (the doozy one),
here:

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/quickstart/

That long string is this:
mvn archetype:create -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.tapestry
-DarchetypeArtifactId=quickstart -DarchetypeVersion=5.0.3
-DgroupId=org.example -DartifactId=myapp
-DpackageName=org.example.myapp -Dversion=1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
cd into the myapp
At this point you can't just run mvn jetty:run, because it wants tapestry 5.0.3.

Open up POM.xml in a text editor.  At the bottom where it reads
<tapestry-release-version>, change 5.0.3 to 5.0.4 or 5.0.5-SNAPSHOT

Then save, and you can now run mvn jetty:run

Make sure you don't have anything else running on port 8080, like
tomcat, iis, etc, since Jetty will use that port by default.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by RobertSchreiber <ma...@robert-schreiber.de>.
Howard,

I use Maven version 2.0.6 is that ok or do I need to go back?

Tapestry is cool. But nowbody will ever know, because you do not know how to

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Maven actually works really well, once you get started.  The issue here was
a perfect storm of minor errors in the quickstart archetype, an apparent
Maven bug, and problems with the build (resulting in key artifacts being
uploaded to the wrong location).

The tapestry-snapshot repository should be
http://people.apache.org/~hlship/tapestry-snapshot-repository

The 5.0.5-SNAPSHOT artifacts are now in the correct location
(tapestry-snapshot-repository).

Make sure to use Maven 2.0.5 (!!).

On 5/24/07, RobertSchreiber <ma...@robert-schreiber.de> wrote:

> Help! I'm trying to download the latest T5 Snapshot to see what the new
> release is all about.
>
> Up to now I was always fail with some obscure maven error message.
>
> What do I do wrong? Is there any description what I have to do to get the
> software ( including dependent libraries).
>
> Why can't somebody deliver a jar file with everything in it, how the
> spring
> guys do?
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to have a t505-withdependencies.jar including
> tapestry*.jar
> javaassist.jar
> etc...
> workbench.war

Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Andy!  Hot stuff!  This may be the silver bullet for me.

Re: Shipwreck when downloading T5.0.5

Posted by andyhot <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Hey, mvn tomcat:run is always an option!

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Strand <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by RobertSchreiber <ma...@robert-schreiber.de>.

The maven goal jetty:run never succeded for some reason ( missing class from
ant package, failures to download libraries, etc.).

After different tries I downloaded T5.0.4 from the SVN repository.

I ran through the examples and find T5 absolutely cool.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Shipwreck when downloading T5.0.5

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
BTW--After using maven for a week or so, I'd love to champion it's use.  I'm
quite happy with the way it downloads dependencies when everything is going
well in your POM.  If only I could get it to work smoothly with my
IDE/server setup.

Can you send me or the list the error message and your POM?  I'm sure you
and I are not the only ones having trouble with this -- with the only intent
being access to Tapestry 4.1 / 5.  I'd love to learn what the problem is so
you can get on to the fun part.

Dan

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
Robert,

Posted by RobertSchreiber <ma...@robert-schreiber.de>.
Looks like you have an old version of this file.

The correct oane is:

package org.example.myapp.services;

import java.io.IOException;

import org.apache.commons.logging.Log;
import org.apache.tapestry.ioc.MappedConfiguration;
import org.apache.tapestry.ioc.OrderedConfiguration;
import org.apache.tapestry.ioc.annotations.InjectService;
import org.apache.tapestry.services.Request;
import org.apache.tapestry.services.RequestFilter;
import org.apache.tapestry.services.RequestHandler;
import org.apache.tapestry.services.Response;

/**
 * This module is automatically included as part of the Tapestry IoC
Registry, it's a good place to
 * configure and extend Tapestry, or to place your own services.
 */
public class AppModule
{
    public static void contributeApplicationDefaults(
            MappedConfiguration<String, String> configuration)
    {
        // Contributions to ApplicationDefaults will override any
contributions to
        // FactoryDefaults (with the same key). Here we're restricting the
supported
        // locales to just "en" (English). As you add localised message
catalogs and other assets,
        // you can extend this list of locales (it's a comma seperated
series of locale names;
        // the first locale name is the default when there's no reasonable
match).

        configuration.add("tapestry.supported-locales", "en");
    }

    /**
     * This is a service definition, the service will be named TimingFilter.
The interface,
     * RequestFilter, is used within the RequestHandler service pipeline,
which is built from the
     * RequestHandler service configuration. Tapestry IoC is responsible for
passing in an
     * appropriate Log instance. Requests for static resources are handled
at a higher level, so
     * this filter will only be invoked for Tapestry related requests.
     */
    public RequestFilter buildTimingFilter(final Log log)
    {
        return new RequestFilter()
        {
            public boolean service(Request request, Response response,
RequestHandler handler)
                    throws IOException
            {
                long startTime = System.currentTimeMillis();

                try
                {
                    // The reponsibility of a filter is to invoke the
corresponding method
                    // in the handler. When you chain multiple filters
together, each filter
                    // received a handler that is a bridge to the next
filter.

                    return handler.service(request, response);
                }
                finally
                {
                    long elapsed = System.currentTimeMillis() - startTime;

                    log.info(String.format("Request time: %d ms", elapsed));
                }
            }
        };
    }

    /**
     * This is a contribution to the RequestHandler service configuration.
This is how we extend
     * Tapestry using the timing filter. A common use for this kind of
filter is transaction
     * management or security.
     */
    public void contributeRequestHandler(OrderedConfiguration<RequestFilter>
configuration,
            @InjectService("TimingFilter")
            RequestFilter filter)
    {
        // Each contribution to an ordered configuration has a name, When
necessary, you may
        // set constraints to precisely control the invocation order of the
contributed filter
        // within the pipeline.

        configuration.add("Timing", filter);
    }
}

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
Oh yeah, I had to manually install Itext into my repository using a
maven command.  I am using it to write PDFs and it is not a required
Tapestry thing.

I have used maven 2.0.5 and 2.0.6 with great success.  2.0.6 was the
first version I had ever used.

One other thing, I have stopped using the m2eclipse plugin because it
seems to rewrite my POM, and it does not keep the extra information
included in the jetty plugin tag.  thus, after it rewrites my POM, I
can't run jetty via mvn jetty:run, unless I paste the variables back
in the xml.  What a pain.

"All we want to do is program with Tapestry"
sigh

Posted by adasal <ad...@gmail.com>.
Daniel,

Posted by adasal <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi and thanks.
I am not quite there yet.
I guess maybe simplest would be to delete anything todo with
5.0.5-SNAPSHOTin my local maven repo.
At the moment what I have found after creating a directory and pom under
tapestry-core --> 5.0.5-SNAPSHOT I get the following (truncated to end) when
I run mvn clean install -U .
Is there anything obvious that I have done wrong. Seems I need to read up on
maven, though may not have the time at moment.
Adam

Downloading:
http://people.apache.org/~hlship/tapestry-snapshot-repository//org/
apache/tapestry/tapestry-project/5.0.5-SNAPSHOT/tapestry-
project-5.0.5-20070529.
054438-5.pom
10K downloaded
[INFO] [compiler:compile]
[INFO] Compiling 2 source files to
C:\workspace\tapestry-maven\myapp\target\clas
ses
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO]
[INFO] Compilation failure

C:\workspace\tapestry-maven\myapp\src\main\java\org\example\myapp\services\AppMo
dule.java:[8,43] cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Contribute
location: package org.apache.tapestry.ioc.annotations

C:\workspace\tapestry-maven\myapp\src\main\java\org\example\myapp\services\AppMo
dule.java:[9,43] cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Id
location: package org.apache.tapestry.ioc.annotations

C:\workspace\tapestry-maven\myapp\src\main\java\org\example\myapp\services\AppMo
dule.java:[20,1] cannot find symbol
symbol: class Id
@Id("app")

C:\workspace\tapestry-maven\myapp\src\main\java\org\example\myapp\services\AppMo
dule.java:[23,5] cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Contribute
location: class org.example.myapp.services.AppModule

C:\workspace\tapestry-maven\myapp\src\main\java\org\example\myapp\services\AppMo
dule.java:[73,5] cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Contribute
location: class org.example.myapp.services.AppModule

[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 19 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Fri Jun 01 11:18:44 BST 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 5M/13M
[INFO]

Posted by Nick Westgate <ni...@key-planning.co.jp>.

Posted by adasal <ad...@gmail.com>.