Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Pete Mocat <ky...@hotmail.com> on 2003/02/18 17:14:14 UTC

[users@httpd] 1.3.27 - strange cgi problem not in 1.3.26

Hi,

I have recently upgraded a set of servers from 1.3.26 to 1.3.27

I have noticed the following seemingly random problem with cgi's
executing on the 1.3.27 servers.

[Mon Feb 10 09:17:14 2003] [error] [client 192.168.1.23] (12)Cannot allocate
memory: getgrgid: invalid groupid 1119
[Mon Feb 10 09:17:14 2003] [error] (12)Cannot allocate memory: exec of
/home/kyo23/cgi-bin/script.cgi failed
[Mon Feb 10 09:17:14 2003] [error] [client 192.168.1.23] Premature end of
script headers: /home/kyo23/cgi-bin/script.cgi

The group id is valid for the user running the script.

The script's are running through suexec.

Has anyone saw this behavior before?

Server info:

* redhat linux 7.3-based
* apache 1.3.27 dso compiled from tarball
* mod_php + mod_rewrite
* all servers run as virtual hosts and use suexec
* all virtual hosts have user and group set in vhost section

More info:

* no pattern to the problem - cannot reproduce on demand :(
* It occurs with scripts of any size (even the most simple)
* occurs with simple "hello world" scripts
* same production servers with same load do not show problem on 1.3.26

I initially thought it was a simple case of the script trying to allocate
too much RAM but even a very simple 5 line hello world will
randomly not work.

Important note:

(here's where you all abandon my problem :)

I'm running a VERY SLIGHTLY modifed suexec.c - however it has ran for a long
time just fine and I have diffed the 1.3.27 and 1.3.26 suexec.c's
for changes and they are nearly identical. My only change it to comment out
the checking of group write privs (to avoid daily problems with users whose
scripts are g+w due to redhat's practice of putting all users in their own
group and giving write to group by default).

My diffs show nothing that should cause a problem with the suexec.c changes.

Again, the problem is random and not just simply broken?

I'd appreciate any advice at all - I'm starting to go nuts on this one!

Thanks!