Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Sean Connors <se...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/10 21:33:30 UTC

Above/below spacings for headings in oo writer

Hi

I am about to submit a manuscript for file conversion for upload to Amazon
kindle etc. for the first time.

I notice that the spacing above and below my headings is in cms and I've
been told that  it should be in lines -- otherwise it might not convert to
fit the many different sized screens correctly.

Can you tell me if this is correct and if it is, can I convert the spacing
from cms to lines?

Many thanks

Seán

Re: Above/below spacings for headings in oo writer

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

On 12/12/17 2:34 AM, Sean Connors wrote:
> Hi Martin
>
> It's kind of you to answer. Unfortunately, I've been around this
> circle before. The software that converts files for ebooks doesn't
> recognise blank spaces (carriage returns or tabs or extra use of the
> space bar). If you try to position text this way it completely
> corrupts the file.
> There must be a simple way to change the unit of measurement from cms
> to lines as every ebook requires it.
> I am totally lost with this. (Even found it hard to find a contact to
> send my query to OO community).

Well in fact you reached the OO community by sending your original
question to users@openoffice.apache.org
The issue is that your problem is related to eBooks and not to OpenOffice.
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book Formatting: Ten Steps To Getting Your Book
Ready To Sell Online Kindle will give you some tips.
     "Most beginners write their books in Word or Open Office," he
explains, "and they expect the same document to convert easily
     to an e-book and a paperback. Sometimes that happens, but more
often it doesn't, because word processors litter the book file
     with hidden formatting. The result can be a disaster."

     Instead, the book should be converted to clean HTML, the markup
language used to create a web page. (All e-books are web
     pages at heart, and the Kindle and other e-book readers are just
special-purpose web browsers.) The conversion takes seconds
     and costs nothing. It can then be plugged into a simple template
that "Notjohn" includes in this Guide and makes available on his
     blog for anyone to use.

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
Hi Seán,

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.