Posted to dev@gossip.apache.org by Dorian Ellerbe <do...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/03 18:13:20 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] future directions

Great ideas!

1) Regarding SWIM: Looks interesting, but I want to understand/research
more.

2) +1 for HTTP. Anything to appeal to a larger audience of users and
committers is good, especially if the dev overhead is relatively low.

5) Same idea as #2 above; though this will obviously require a larger
effort. Maybe a functional implementation?

6) I've been reading a lot about Docker Swarm. We can spin up N instances
of members and configure them in virtually (no pun) anyway we want. There
are some excellent use cases for it and this is certainly one of them.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 1:15 PM, Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Dorian Ellerbe <do...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Great ideas!
>>
>> 1) Regarding SWIM: Looks interesting, but I want to understand/research
>> more.
>>
>> 2) +1 for HTTP. Anything to appeal to a larger audience of users and
>> committers is good, especially if the dev overhead is relatively low.
>>
>> 5) Same idea as #2 above; though this will obviously require a larger
>> effort. Maybe a functional implementation?
>>
>> 6) I've been reading a lot about Docker Swarm. We can spin up N instances
>> of members and configure them in virtually (no pun) anyway we want. There
>> are some excellent use cases for it and this is certainly one of them.
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 2:21 PM Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > and
>> -> C.
>> to do
>> > unaltered

>> > thinking
>> shared

>> on
>> > the

>> edlinuxguru@gmail.com

>> moresandeep@gmail.com>

>> limits
>> > on
>> Gossip

>> > improvements
>> way

>> das/research/dsn02-swim.pdf

>> > protocol

>> will
>> > go
>> Gossip
>> here

>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GOSSIP-47)

>> strikes me
>> but
>> have

>> be
>> > draw.

>> > node,
>> > Gossip
>> this.

>> > testing

>> C,
>> ->
>> > C.
>> > do

>> limits on

>> > " Verifying that the data comes from a specific node might be tricky."
>> >
>> > For this feature to work the cluster nodes with either need one or more
>> Pre
>> > Shared Key or they would all have to agree on a (central) Certificate
>> > Authority that could grant and verify. I would not expect this to be the
>> > standard mode for most users, but I think it is fairly novel and would
>> be
>> > interesting to me.
>> >

> For #6 there are likely a few apache projects products producing docker
> images. I am open to implementation here.

Update: I realized when I setup the time based release I said 3 months,
however I set the date as march 8th which was only two months in the
future. LOL anyway great way to trick yourself. I set up the version 0.1.3
in Jira and moved many of these topics into that version.

Re: [DISCUSS] future directions

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.