Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Dean Harding <de...@dload.com.au> on 2009/07/01 01:02:30 UTC

RE: 40000 segments for index with 2000 documents

> There are about 3000 documents with one field indexed that are being
> updated 3-5 times per minute.  It looks like new segment created per
> each transaction because right now there are about 40000 .cfs/.del
> (coupled) files which makes 80000 files in index and indexs size is
> about 25Mb. But after optimization (which took 7 minutes) index size
> shrunk to 350Kb.

So what's the performance like after optimization? Optimization doesn't
happen automatically in Lucene you must do it manually. Adding a document
simply appends it to the end of the index and removing a document simply
marks it as deleted. Updating a document is a remove-then-add operation.

It's only when you call Optimize() that it actually rearranges things on
disk for faster access, and that's something you should be doing on a
regular basis. Here, we do an Optimize() after every 1000 "modifications"
(add, delete, update). For a relatively small index like yours, regular
optimization shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds (it's only because
you let things go so out of hand that it took 7 minutes) and you can
continue to query the index while the optimization is happening.

At least, that's always been my understanding.

Dean.

RE: 40000 segments for index with 2000 documents

Posted by George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net>.
Optimization is disk bound -- it will read the whole index and write it
back.  If the 7 minute it took to optimize your index is not acceptable, get
a faster hard-drive (fast RPM, seek, etc.)

Btw, 3000 documents is small, but if they *all* (or most) are being updated
every 3-5 minutes, you will run into fragmentation issues (and many segment
files) as your discovered.

-- George