Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/22 09:08:18 UTC

OBR Web Console Plugin (was: trunk/webconsole fails to build)

Hi,

The bundlerepository bundle has been disbanded into the core
bundlerepository stuff and the Manifest parsing stuff moved to the new
commons library/project.

This creates some grieve for downstream users like Web Console but also
other users of the bundlrepository.

As for the Web Console, I think we should move the OBR support plugin
out of the Web Console over to the bundlerepository plugin. This solves
the more general problem of the current bundlerepository refactoring for
the web console (and only for the web console).

The more general problem is that of removing existing API: The old
org.osgi.service.obr API has been replaced in the bundle repository
trunk by the new o.a.felix.bundlerepository API. There may be very good
reasons to do this. But it leeaves current users of the o.o.s.obr API
out in the dark.

WDYT of moving the obr bundle ? In the short term this looks to my like
the only feasible solution to be able to cut a Web Console release soon.

What do we do about the now missing API ? To we provide backwards
compatible wrappers (including an o.o.service.obr.RepositoryAdmin
service) ? Do we simply abandon the old API and raise the bundle
repository bundle to a new major version number ?

Regards
Felix

Re: OBR Web Console Plugin

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Oops, it looks like the second problem has already been taken care of.
Sorry for the confusion.

Remains the first problem: moving the OBR stuff over to the
bundlerepository bundle.

Alternatively, the bundle could differentiate between the old API and
the newly provided API and provide more options in the latter case.

Regards
Felix

Updated proposed release list (was: OBR Web Console Plugin)

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On 22.03.2010 13:28, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:23, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you feel comfortable with the state of the bundlerepository and utils
>> projects, I could include them in my webconsole 3.0 release batch.
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>

> Sounds good to me.

Good. So I will shoot for the following releases then:

   Web Console               3.0.0
   Event Plugin              1.0.2 (adapted for JQuery UI)
   Memory Usage Plugin       1.0.0 (new plugin)
   UPNP Plugin               1.0.0 (new plugin)
   Bundle Repository         1.6.0 (required by Web Console, new API)
   Utils                     1.0.0 (required by Web Console)

Regards
Felix

Re: OBR Web Console Plugin

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:23, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 22.03.2010 11:23, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:36, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> new

> >> also

> >> because

> Sorry.

> features
> be
> >>
> >> What dependencies to compute ? Do you mean the optional
> >> dependencies/requirements ?
> >>

> > Yes.  I think wit the previous version of the resolver, it would to
> > unnacceptable computation time for the web pages (if you have a repo of a
> > decent size), especially as you have no way to not compute optional
> > dependencies and those are wrongly marked as mandatory anyway.  The new
> one
> > being 10 time faster leads to better results.

> new
> >> api
> >> old
> >>
> >> I am trying to implement this right now.
> >>
> >> Nevertheless this would leave us with the SNAPSHOT dependency to the new
> >> API, which prevents the Web Console from being released at this time.
> >>
> >> How about just supporting the old API for now and for a next release
> >> provide a second plugin implementation supporting the new functionality
> >> of the new API ?
> >>

> > Yeah, or we would release bundlerepository now.  That would be a good
> idea
> > anyway I think.
>
> Plus the new utils ?

Yes

> BTW: I am able to implement support for both the old OSGi API and the
> new Felix API ... So we would be in good shape in this respect.
>
> If you feel comfortable with the state of the bundlerepository and utils
> projects, I could include them in my webconsole 3.0 release batch.
>
> WDYT ?

Sounds good to me.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: OBR Web Console Plugin

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 22.03.2010 11:23, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:36, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 22.03.2010 10:17, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

>> also

>> because

>>> Yeah, that'd be nice.  It might require a bit more work and some features
>>> might be disabled.  For example, computing the dependencies would not be
>>> good idea i think because it might take a very long time.
>>
>> What dependencies to compute ? Do you mean the optional
>> dependencies/requirements ?
>>

> Yes.  I think wit the previous version of the resolver, it would to
> unnacceptable computation time for the web pages (if you have a repo of a
> decent size), especially as you have no way to not compute optional
> dependencies and those are wrongly marked as mandatory anyway.  The new one
> being 10 time faster leads to better results.
>

>>> What if we resurrect the old version of the plugin and use it if the new
>> api
>>> is not available ?
>>> I.e. we would have both plugins and use the new one if possible or the
>> old
>>> one if not.
>>
>> I am trying to implement this right now.
>>
>> Nevertheless this would leave us with the SNAPSHOT dependency to the new
>> API, which prevents the Web Console from being released at this time.
>>
>> How about just supporting the old API for now and for a next release
>> provide a second plugin implementation supporting the new functionality
>> of the new API ?
>>

> Yeah, or we would release bundlerepository now.  That would be a good idea
> anyway I think.

Plus the new utils ?

Re: OBR Web Console Plugin

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: OBR Web Console Plugin

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: OBR Web Console Plugin

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: OBR Web Console Plugin

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: OBR Web Console Plugin (was: trunk/webconsole fails to build)

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet