Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2011/08/24 14:32:49 UTC

deploy failing with illegal character

In trying to do an Apache release, the release:perform goal fails when uploading
to the Apache repository.

I've tried 3 times, with 2 different JVMs (Sun/Oracle and IBM), all give this error:

[INFO] [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.5:deploy (default-deploy) on
project uima-addons-parent: Failed to deploy artifacts: Could not transfer
artifact org.apache.uima:uima-addons-parent:pom:2.3.1 from/to
apache.releases.https
(https://repository.apache.org/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2):
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal character(s) in message header
value: Basic
c2Nob3I6e05CeGU5SlJ3anE4SEFqK0pvcFRUK1I1emo5VDd4N1JEaDl3bFdPbEI2Q0RXUXVRd2k2
[INFO] [ERROR] dm1sSlpzZTVQM0ZrU ... etc.

I googled this, and found this http://markmail.org/message/nscp44q2tm6qh3di

It says it's a known bug in JRE's base64 encoder, which is used by the
"lightweight" wagon used to deploy.

The suggestion is "Try to force Maven to use some other wagon instead of the
lightweight one".

I don't know how to do that; any suggestions?  Are there other work-arounds?
This is a blocker for our release.

-Marshall Schor

Fwd: Re: deploy failing with illegal character

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
This should do it:

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I found the answer, it had nothing to do (mostly) with this error message.

I'm using password security - there's an encrypted pw stored in my local
settings.xml.  It has to be unencrypted by a key.

The key is not always available - and if it is not, there is a message but it
scrolls by quickly, and doesn't stop the build.

Later, the deploy attempts to get to the server using the encrypted pw, which fails.

The fix: make the key needed to unencrypt the pw available to the build :-)

-Marshall Schor

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.