Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by FOTACHE CHRISTIAN <li...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/04/05 08:06:20 UTC

exapanding solr core over an additional ssd

Hi everyone,I'm having this problem: I'm running a solr instance on an 120Gb ssd, but the solr core is growing quickly and I badly need extra-space. I have another 240Gb ssd that I can attach to my laptop but I don't know how how to make the solr core expand naturally on the newly attach ssd.Please helpKind regards,Christian

Re: exapanding solr core over an additional ssd

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@apache.org>.
I would suggest an alias pointing to two collections or just shards param,
if Christian followed mailing list policy.

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

Re: exapanding solr core over an additional ssd

Posted by Rick Leir <rl...@leirtech.com>.

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.
> locations.  There's no reason it wouldn't be *POSSIBLE* ... but doing it
> would require a different Lucene Directory implementation -- very low
> level custom code.

There's actually FileSwitchDirectory so you could split an index into
separate files stored on separate drives... not that it makes much
sense, like Shawn said.

> If you can add another drive that's twice as big, why don't you just
> move the Solr install to the other drive?

Or create an extension of your partition on another drive -- these are
operating system facilities, not Lucene's and they're way better
handled by the operating system than Lucene. Again: not that this
makes sense (and you'd be exercising os filesystem synchronization
idioms on such spanned volumes).

Dawid

Re: exapanding solr core over an additional ssd

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 4/5/2017 2:06 AM, FOTACHE CHRISTIAN wrote:
> I'm having this problem: I'm running a solr instance on an 120Gb ssd,
> but the solr core is growing quickly and I badly need extra-space. I
> have another 240Gb ssd that I can attach to my laptop but I don't know
> how how to make the solr core expand naturally on the newly attach ssd.

I am not aware of a way to have one core use two different file
locations.  There's no reason it wouldn't be *POSSIBLE* ... but doing it
would require a different Lucene Directory implementation -- very low
level custom code.

If you can add another drive that's twice as big, why don't you just
move the Solr install to the other drive?  Because it would be the only
thing on that drive, you would actually have MORE than twice the
original space -- because that drive would not contain any operating
system files.

I hope you're not running Solr on a laptop in a production deployment.
Laptops typically do not have any fault tolerance features other than
the battery.

Thanks,
Shawn